cheap shift knob

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

24dodge

One of the Dodge brothers
This is my first post here so I hope you guys and girls like it , I had been trying to find a shift knob that went with the early style of my Dodge but they all seemed to have a newer look to them or the ones that I liked were expensive . here is what I came up with , found a pair of these old door knobs at a yard sale for $1, then I welded a chevy rocker arm adjusting nut to the bottom of it , this worked out great because #1 it had the right threads and #2 it was already chamfered so I didn`t have to grind it to lay the weld in , anyways here`s the results.

Attachments

• IM000540.JPG
    IM000540.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 406
  • IM000539.JPG
    IM000539.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 506
How did you weld to Bakelite? I too have used doorknobs but used the threaded ones. I run a brass doorknob on my Daily. I tried one of those crystal ones that came from my grandma's old farm house, didn't like it but it was perfect for a friends 28 speedster build.
I like yours better.

the top is ceramic of some kind , it has a steel insert that goes up insde it, the square post goes in the insert and locks on with a set screw

Very nice....

Another post that I missed..... :eek: Sorry about that.
Very nice job, love the look and the price was right.
I will keep looking for "something" until I find one I like better than my old faded 8 ball. '22

Great idea you got there. Here's one that makes me wonder why hasn't anybody used one of these? An antique steel buggy hame / horse harness :confused: Talk about a cheap shifter lever and knob! :D 24 inches long, easily welded, nice contour, a ready made knob, and a lot of character to boot. :cool:

Attachments

• SLS 018.jpg
    SLS 018.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 60
Thats way cool. Lets see some more or your 24.:cool:

You asking me 52?? :confused: I haven't actually used the buggy hame to make a shifter yet. However i bought a pair of these to possibly use for that purpose. Me thinks it would be a great looking and unique way to utilize one for a rat rod especially. The steel ones are usually about 24" long as is. You can find them around. Flea Markets, old barns, etc....

Thunder

Cool guy, you have some cool shifters. I love the Model A wrench. I have a couple of those. also what is the whiteone next to the wrench? I am lost. it's cool looking thought

Latest posts

Back