Trunk spare tire well replacement.....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4dr orphan

This seemed too good an idea to keep to myself.

While my son-in-law was replacinging the trunk floor in our 48 DeSoto, I remarked how disappointed I was at the floorpan I had purchased from the West Coast. Someone had cut the spare tire well out of it and the well in our existing floor was beyond repair. My incredible daughter's talented husband responded with an unusual question........."Where's the problem?"
His suggestion is to purchase a universal trailor fender, wire weld filler panels on the sides of the trailer fender, turn the unit upside down, measure the depth of the existing well, replicate that measurement on the trailor fender, trim the rest off with a sabre saw, & wire well it into place. I would have never thought of it. He says he will add a couple of rolled beads on each filler panel before welding them to the fender. That small addition will give it the "factory" look.

We're taking pictures of the progress. As soon as I can figure out how to diminish the file size on the pictures (taken with a Cannon SureShot), I'll post them here.

Ed in Michigan

Latest posts

Back