Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Body... Talk & Q&A

Body... Talk & Q&A Top Chop, Channel & General Body Q&A

Old 02-08-2019, 12:31 PM

Default Glass

Wondering what this may cost me?

My truck will have a 2 piece front flat glass windshield, 2 side windows and a small mail slot back window.
Found a shop in town to do it but they wont even give me a ballpark cost till its in their shop.
Any idea what this may cost before I haul it down to someones shop? Ballpark estimate works.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:27 PM
Older and more rusted every day!

For my '41 Ford PU I think I paid $65 for each side of windshield, didn't have side glass & had a plexiglass back window!

BoB

RRR on Facebook
RRR on Twitter
Wanted: Ratty '35 Olds coupe!
Old 02-08-2019, 02:46 PM

Bob's Classic Auto Glass, over in Oregon, makes custom glass and may give you a rough estimate. I have been pleased with their standard glass.
http://www.bobsclassicautoglass.com/
Old 02-08-2019, 03:08 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksyde View Post

My truck will have a 2 piece front flat glass windshield, 2 side windows and a small mail slot back window.
Found a shop in town to do it but they wont even give me a ballpark cost till its in their shop.
Any idea what this may cost before I haul it down to someones shop? Ballpark estimate works.
I'm near Edmonton and I think I spent about $250-400 on my glass (it was several years ago I don't remember completely) and installed it myself, including the v-butt windshield urethaned in. Why are you planning on taking your truck down to the glass shop? Just cut templates, have them make the glass and install it yourself.

My '46 GMC on Photobucket
---------------------------------------------------------------
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.

And when Iím gone, you can call me foolish but hopefully not boring. I will have lived.

The more I learn about women, the more I like my car.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:15 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebob View Post
Bob's Classic Auto Glass, over in Oregon, makes custom glass and may give you a rough estimate. I have been pleased with their standard glass.
http://www.bobsclassicautoglass.com/
I just bought all the standard glass for my 47 Ford truck from Bob's also and I'm very happy with their customer service and price. Both clear windshields, both smoked door glasses and smoked rear window $260 shipped.
Bob's door and rear glass are tempered and the front is safety.
I had windows cut at a shop I've used locally for my 37 GMC and it was priced comparatively to Tripper, all of it was safety glass there.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:14 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksyde View Post

Find another shop. I recently spoke to a local guy who quoted $500 for all the glass in my buddy's '37 coupe project, installed. I thought that was cheap and I asked every question you can think of... short version... he said, "It's all flat glass. We do it all the time, it's quick, easy and flat glass is cheap. I can charge you more if you like."

That said, the owner is a hot rod guy and probably the only shop in town who does this kind of work regularly. I'd think there's somebody in Calgary who can help you. Ring some phones until you hear logic and common sense on the other end...

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan
Old 02-09-2019, 07:00 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I agree with Doc - I had all 6 windows cut and installed in my Graham for about that kind of money. Mind you, I'd made templates ahead of time, he'd cut the glass and we waited until he had a slow day in his shop. I ran the car up to him, he installed everything and I brought it home the next day and we were both happy!
Old 02-09-2019, 10:53 AM
Busted and Rusted on Route 66

Just bought all the flat glass from Bob's for my Stude Sedan for $400. That was for 8 pieces and a truck is going to be far less. However, any auto glass place can cut it for you.

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."

34 Ford Coupe
51 Ford F1
50 Stude Champ
Intro
Old 02-09-2019, 02:59 PM

I guess I could do it myself, just donít know the tolerances, or dimensions/type of window trim. So I wouldnít know where to start.
I wasnít sure if it would be $1000+ for custom glass or $500ish
Old 02-12-2019, 03:19 PM

Can anyone tell me what kind or what style window seal i would use?