Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Tech Tips!

Tech Tips! Share your kool tech tip.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:20 PM

Default Windshield Install

I got my new windshield for the "Salvage #1" 55 Studebaker pickup. I'm not sure where to start. Do I put the rubber on the windshield first or on the truck opening first? Does it go in from the inside or outside? Top or bottom first? I've been told to use a rope and have seen that done many many years ago. Any help would be appreciated. Plan to do it in the next month or so. Thanks
Old 02-10-2019, 07:14 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Not sure on your Stude but most times the gasket goes on the windshield first. I use 3/16" or 1/4" nylon pull starter rope I like starting with the loose ends of the rope at the bottom of the windshield and pull the gasket in from the outside. it is best to have a helper on the outside holding pressure but not a lot. It also helps to have a lot of lube on the rope. I use silicone spray. You may also find that having a small hook tool to pull the gasket in in corners helps. You can make one out of a # 1 phlilips screwdriver bent at a 90 degree angle. I hope this helps and makes sense.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:00 PM

So you put the bottom in first and pull the rope to the inside. Thanks, I just wasn't sure how to get started. I put a back glass in a 55 chevy once but that was 50yrs ago.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:10 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

This is the way I have done them. Without seeing your gasket I can't be sure. some gaskets are made so that the window opening and the windshield don't line up with one another like a rear window. Generaly they still go in the same way.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:49 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Donít forget the lube! WD40 works as well as anything, some people use soapy water but Iíve never had much luck with it. Lube the groove going over the pinch weld. Makes it a lot easier to pull the rubber over the lip.

And go slow, donít force it, glass wonít bend! If it gets to a point and itís too tight, itís better to just start all over. I put in a curved glass one time that took me three tries to get it in.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:27 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I was told to use dish soap straight and always worked for me.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:41 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny c View Post
Not sure on your Stude but most times the gasket goes on the windshield first. I use 3/16" or 1/4" nylon pull starter rope I like starting with the loose ends of the rope at the bottom of the windshield and pull the gasket in from the outside. it is best to have a helper on the outside holding pressure but not a lot. It also helps to have a lot of lube on the rope. I use silicone spray. You may also find that having a small hook tool to pull the gasket in in corners helps. You can make one out of a # 1 phlilips screwdriver bent at a 90 degree angle. I hope this helps and makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny c View Post
This is the way I have done them. Without seeing your gasket I can't be sure. some gaskets are made so that the window opening and the windshield don't line up with one another like a rear window. Generaly they still go in the same way.
Yep, this is a good instruction of how to do it.

They usually go in from the outside because the seal is shaped to hold it in against wind force on the windshield. So it's typically much easier to install from the outside.

I use a spray bottle with soapy water. That way you can keep it moist in the area that you're working in and doesn't make a mess when it dries. Sometimes it works fine dry, but the soapy water can reduce frustration a lot. Also, having a large suction cup so that you can hold the glass or manipulate it if needed is really handy as well. Something like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-...cup-40993.html

My '46 GMC on Photobucket
---------------------------------------------------------------
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.

And when Iím gone, you can call me foolish but hopefully not boring. I will have lived.

The more I learn about women, the more I like my car.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:37 PM

Do these type windshields have to have any type of sealant or is the rubber enough?
Old 02-11-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamamav View Post
Donít forget the lube! WD40 works as well as anything, some people use soapy water but Iíve never had much luck with it. Lube the groove going over the pinch weld. Makes it a lot easier to pull the rubber over the lip.

And go slow, donít force it, glass wonít bend! If it gets to a point and itís too tight, itís better to just start all over. I put in a curved glass one time that took me three tries to get it in.
This windshield is curved right in the middle and that is all.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:28 PM
The Rat Captain

Thumbs up

No sealant, and SLOW AND EASY
Good Luck