Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Flatheads: 4 - 6 - 8 - 12 bangers!

Flatheads: 4 - 6 - 8 - 12 bangers! Flattie Talk - Q&A! Dude... that's a funny lookin' engine!

Old 10-06-2016, 03:36 PM
Crusty Rusty Old Rat Rodder!

Bendtsens adapter for the straight 8 Buick is $1,100 dollars. you get the 2 adapter plates, crankshaft adapter, flexplate for automatics, mini high torque starter and all necessary bolts. I'm running a 4 speed so I also got a flywheel from them. It is extremely well made and installed without any problems. I don't know what the cost is for the flat eights.

Looked it up...
Pontiac is $1,150
Packard is $900 to $1,100, guess they came in different sizes.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:56 AM

...and nobody has mentioned the 324 inch Chrysler/DeSoto...shame on ya'....

And yes, we do make an adapter for them....
Old 07-25-2017, 10:09 PM
It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!

Default Stalled project

I was moving some stuff around in my shed and dug out my 49 Packard 288 cu.in straight 8. I did some porting to the block a few years ago, opening up the intakes - you can see the difference in the port size compared to the stock intake ports - need all the flow you can get with these siamesed intakes. I also started on building a 4bbl intake manifold to mount a Holley sideways, keeping the plenum small, intake runners to be 2" equal length tubes. I also made a saddle engine mount cradle to replace the goofy front mount that used to mount to the waterpump up high. This was a good running motor, just needing a 0.30 overbore and basic rebuilding to come back to life but that would be too boring....
I have a line on a 327 crank (1/2" longer stroke) that will drop right in but I would also need to use the shorter 327 rods. Stock 288 rods will work but will require custom made pistons with the pin 1/2" higher. This could be the best setup using a modern slipper type piston (lighter), better yet would be custom billet rods, since they are 8" long and the stockers are pretty spindly. The 327 crank is a beefy forged unit so the custom rods and pistons and balancing would make a 4500 RPM limit safe. I can still buy new lifters, valves etc and the cam can be sent out for a custom hi-po grind.
So, 327 crank and a 1/8" overbore (3.625 bore x 4.25 stroke) yields 350 cu.in. !! Now we're getting somewhere. The end of the line 1954 359 cu.in. Packard straight 8 made 202HP so it's reasonable to expect something like that output especially with improved intake, headers and hot rod cam.
No barn burner for sure, you could build two 400HP small block Chevys for what it may cost for parts and machine work but the coolness factor is way up there to me...
It has occurred to me that this would be perfect for my next 37 Packard coupe .... hmmmm....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01363.jpg (113.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01366.jpg (112.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01367.jpg (98.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01369.jpg (83.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01371.jpg (147.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01372.jpg (137.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01374.jpg (94.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01375.jpg (126.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 07-25-2017, 10:27 PM
Rocket Surgeon

I wonder how that beast would sound with split exhaust... hmmm?

Old 07-25-2017, 11:04 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

No question on the cool factor.

The thing about a '39 Ford pick-up is that that ugly grille kinda' grows on ya' after a while.

Not taking anything too seriously.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:41 PM
It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Crankenstein View Post
I wonder how that beast would sound with split exhaust... hmmm?

If you split the exhaust into 1,2,3,4 and 5,6,7,8 - small block Chevy block hugger headers have almost the right port spacing, just weld them to new flanges - you'll have a pretty normal 8 cyl sound.
However, if you arrange the pipes so they cylinders fire alternately into one collector then the other (180 degree firing) it will produce an entirely different sound, more like an Indy car (though obviously not revving that high) or an angry 6 cylinder.... 180 headers produce a broader, flatter torque curve which may play to strength of this kind of engine, not a revver but a puller.
Probably one of the most powerful flatheads made was the Hudson 308 six for one simple reason - it was one of the only inline flatheads I know of to use large individual ports for every valve. Flow matters and makes power. Even the Buick straight 8, though a new fangled overhead valve engine, used crummy twisted siamesed intake ports that severely limited flow.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:40 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Thanks for the education, zz.

How's this for a recipe: 180 exhaust, 3.55 gear and a 700R4...