Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Transmission, Rear End... Talk & Q&A!

Transmission, Rear End... Talk & Q&A! Tranny, rear end, drivetrain related stuff... shift it... grind it... pop da clutch!

Old 11-12-2017, 07:31 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

When I was just out of high school, my buddy twisted an axle in his 37 Chevy panel truck. We hunted all over for a replacement to no avail. His dad preped the axle and welded it back together. It was still in it (and working) when he traded it off for some other junk ride.

The thing about a '39 Ford pick-up is that that ugly grille kinda' grows on ya' after a while.

Not taking anything too seriously.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:13 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamamav View Post
It was probably done a lot before a re-spline job became easier to get done. I'm with Dr C, I'd think a sleeve would be required to have maximum strength. One way to look at is, they weld the yokes on driveshafts, so whats the difference? It would probably be stronger than you think, but it might also be a weak spot.
The weld on the driveshaft doesn't see near the torque that an axle does - much larger diameter, and much higher RPM - hence a fraction of the torque.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:54 PM
Still crazy after all these years!

Back in 1958 when I was building my first hot rod I put a 1948 Ford rear end in a Model A pickup. Had to have the torque tube and the driveshaft shortened. The enclosed driveshaft is about the same diameter as an axle shaft. The specialty shop I took it to cut and welded the solid shaft then sleeved it and welded the sleeve. This was in the day of stick welding. Worked fine in the light car with not much horsepower. I wouldn't do it in any modern application.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:38 PM

Awesome response guys. I had to assume the weld and sleeve thing was about the only way it would work at all. The article talked about the rail being built out of pipe with a home made clutch can and an rear end out of an ambulance or something. Early hemi, log manifold and nitro. Wow! Thanks all.