Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Questions/Suggestions

Questions/Suggestions Questions or suggestions about the forum... don't be shy!

Old 11-12-2017, 02:07 PM

Default a question

Says questions, and I want to ask one and possible start a few posts about this.

No reason other than conversation. If someone wanted to build a car and was very serious and strict about building "pure" how do you feel. Being pure I`m referring to, (imaginary) a 1950`s era, 4door, wagon, Dodge or Plymouth. Wanting everything the same as brand of car. Possible consider a 2bbl, 360, auto trans, matching rear end. Now most all drive trains Chrysler makes are about the same. The purist wants it all Dodge or Plymouth brand. Would you use either brand or stick to the pure of the build. Pure builder would reference numbers if in doubt. Should he stick to his desires or loosen up on mix of parts?

Just a cold late fall day conversation.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:31 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Since most of the parts to be used are probably close to 40 years out of production unless you are using pickup parts, I'd say as long as it's from the same Corp, it would be fine. Finding any rwd stuff other than pickups is challenging enough anymore, trying to be brand specific would be even harder. I know Dodge and Plymouth had some cars that shared sheet metal, and some that looked like they did but actually shared very little {Cuda-Challanger}, but were the power plants and running gears actually different? Maybe different intakes or exhaust manifolds, but I thought a Chrysler 440 was the same in a Dodge, Plymouth, or Chrysler? Could use different cams and pistons for different jobs, but the block and heads should be the same I would think.

Not up to date on Chrysler stuff myself, but I know Ford was pretty much the same from about 68 up be it in a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury. FE series was being phased out in a couple of years, you had the Windsor small blocks, Cleveland mid series, and the 385 or Lima series big blocks. Pretty much stayed that way until the 90's when the 4.6 SOHC Mod motors came out.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:17 PM
Rocket Surgeon

If I were building a Chrysler product, I'd be happy to find a drive train that fits and works, whether it be Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth or DeSoto. (They're all sisters if you turn them upside-down.) Numbers and brand would mean little to me, unless the project is a full-on restoration with some significance and/or collectible worth.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:13 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I agree with the good doctor.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:41 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Doc X2
Old 11-12-2017, 07:37 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Put a Chevy in it and save a bunch of money.

The thing about a '39 Ford pick-up is that that ugly grille kinda' grows on ya' after a while.

Not taking anything too seriously.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:25 PM
He started out with nothing, he still has most of it!

Send a message via Yahoo to Yankee Transplant

thats funny Skip but true it was going to cost around $1800 for a build kit for my 97 f - 150 I didnt have the $ and I had a chevy on the floor so I built it and now its on the road again ... and fit pretty good .. better than I expected it to
Old 11-13-2017, 06:26 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Put a Chevy in it and save a bunch of money.
Sad but true. People like to complain about everything having a small block in it but there is a reason for that. They are plentiful and inexpensive to build unless you go crazy on them.

I am running into that same issue on a wooden boat that I am working on for my bro-in-law. He has a Y block that he wants to use as It was in his old boat but just the marine exhaust manifolds are around a grand a pair for good ones.
I have already found 2 complete SBC all set up for marine use and ready to run and they are the same price as just the Y block marine manifolds.
Correct brand in brand is nice but can get real costly.
More thoughts on a cold and snowy morning in Northern Michigan...
Torchie
Old 11-14-2017, 12:33 AM
Builder Junky!

My opinion is that if it's from a Chrysler product in a Chrysler product that's 'pure' enough, BUT, my opinion is worth nothing really; it's the builder that has to be happy with the 'purity'.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:04 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

To be honest, I have been a purist for most of my life. And I have never been a GM guy. But of late, I have decided that unless I am working on a restoration, there is really no good reason, that I can come up with, to be so picky. It kind of hit me when my brother wanted to put a Valarie front end under his 40 Dodge PU just to keep it Mopar. I don't argue with my brother any more, but I know how ugly, and what a bad fit, that would be.

The thing about a '39 Ford pick-up is that that ugly grille kinda' grows on ya' after a while.

Not taking anything too seriously.