Bits and pieces, Leslie's car.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today’s gonna be the day I think. Looks like it’ll be about 40* this afternoon. Gotta pull the distributor, prime the oil system, fill the tank, install a good battery, and plug off the manifold vacuum port. Once I know she starts and runs, I’ll get it up on stands and check the transmission to make sure it works. I know for sure the parking pawl engages but nothing of the rest.

l love the first fire up, anticipation, excitement and worry all at the same time :eek:

as road warrior Animal used'ta say "000HHH what a rush"

Later :cool:

I would love to say that everything went as planned but unfortunately, as is the case with a lot of my stuff, it did not. Got it fired up this afternoon but noticed oil leaking. So I shut it down, jacked it up and crawled underneath. Amazingly enough, it was not from the rear main, or the pan gasket, but rather the transmission. With it just being the transmission leaking, I was able to adjust the timing a little bit and play around with the carbs. Likes to run around 15” of vacuum so that’s where I left it. I still need to find the sweet spot for the timing because it doesn’t really like to run below 1k RPMs. Anyhow, because I was dumb and didn’t make it to where the transmission can drop from the bottom, the engine will have to come out again. Once it’s out, I’ll figure out where the oil is coming from. Not a major issue just sets me back a little bit further. But hey, at least I know it starts up.

Got the engine pulled this afternoon and left the transmission in place held up by a piece of pipe and a jack stand. I think it took me all of 2 hours to yank. You could see where the fluid had been oozing from the lower edge of the seal so I popped the seal out, cleaned it up, and took it to NAPA to have them cross reference it. The “kid” behind the counter thought it was cool to see one that still had numbers stamped into it. The owner, who’s owned that store since the 80s, came over when the kid couldn’t find the correct one and within 2 minutes figured out the seal needed. Turns out these old Ford-o-matics use the same front pump seal as an FMX. Anyhow, it’ll be here tomorrow so the engines just gonna sit hovering above it’s hole as I don’t have the space to move the cherry picker around with the engine on it. I also decided that I’m gonna pull all the bolts on the torque converter and replace them with grade 8 fine thread Allen head bolts as they’re going to be easier to use in the confined space of the bellhousing.

New seal came in this morning so I was able to pick it up this afternoon after I woke up. Got it installed, replaced the bolts in the torque converter, and got the engine reinstalled. Seeing as I had the intake manifold off, I drilled and tapped a hole for a vent so I can bleed the cooling system. All that’s left is to fill the cooling system again and should be able to start her up again. Crossing my fingers and hoping for no more fluid leaks. As long as there’s no more leaks, I’ll get her timed properly and adjust the carbs. Also got the glass in this afternoon so I need to install it. Then onto the paperwork side of things.

Wow, you turned that around quickly!

Yeah, I was really surprised I was able to get the seal as quickly as I did. Typically I have to wait a few days to get stuff through the local parts houses. I was hoping to pop her off again this afternoon and check for leaks on the transmission but I’ve got to go into work early this afternoon so maybe tomorrow. As long as there are no leaks I’ll fill the transmission up with fluid, let it idle for a while, and then check the gears. I’m now Looking at it as a blessing in disguise. When I first noticed the leak, I thought it was engine oil with it being so dark in color but after the second start up it started to turn red. So it was kind of an unintentional transmission flush. Anyhow, here’s crossing our fingers and hoping for the best!!!

Latest posts

Back