1933 chevy tudor sedan aka Project Copper Tone!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The springs aren't as big as they look. When they're collapsed, they lose about 4 inches. So as it sits now, once I put the tires I want on the rear, it'll sit about 3 or 4 inches off the ground. 4 if I am lucky. And that's not accounting for fuel in the fuel tank.

That's what I was thinking. I searched for a different thermostat housing but couldn't find one that was either straight or came out at a better angle but couldn't. If all else fails I could grab my old one that's not chrome plated, weld a piece of pipe to it and do it that way. I'll have to see how it goes.

I have an old straight neck housing you can have if it'll fit. Shoot me a measurement of the bolt spread, center to center...I'll hunt mine up and measure it.

You might want to bridge the 2 sides of the hairpin where the shock mounts. I see you've got your brake line on there, but maybe you could put something on one side & still leave access.

Do you have any problems with side to side movement on your rear end as you cycle the suspension with that short panhard? You might want to move the axle mount closer to the opposite frame rail to lengthen the arc. It may not be a big deal with lower travel car suspensions, I'm used to seeing 4x4s that are factoring in major articulation.

It's lookin' great, I didn't realize how far out you'd put your front wheels, that's crazy!

-Chaz

Hey, nice build... Been following closely.
Im getting to the point where I'm going to have to start swapping wood for steel in my '33 Chevy. Do you have any problems with flex in the sheet metal? I like the inside framing you did, but was a little concerned with the framing not contacting the body's sheet metal as much as I would have thought it needed to. Any advise before I start would be great...
Can't wait for the next update...

There's a few things I would have done differently if I had to do it again. First I would have used 1x1 square tubing and made it to where it would have sit down on the frame a little bit more. The hardest part was the rear of the roof line. I should have made more relief cuts and got it closer to the natural concurve of the car. As for flex, I haven't seen any as of yet. Maybe once I drive it ill notice more but we'll just have to see. Another good thread to follow was gjunction mikes 31 Chevy, can't remember the name of it though.

Got my rear tires in yesterday so got them mounted today. And figured while I was out I would pick up my thermostat housing so all the is finished up.

Hopefully I can find another driveshaft so I can build the drivers side header and fire her up for the first time.

Nice wheels and tires. Looks right and like they belong there.
I don't know how you can wait that long to start the engine up. That's priority one when I'm building one. I just have to hear it running once in a while to keep the old mojo flowing.

Keep hammering on it!!

Nice wheels and tires. Looks right and like they belong there.
I don't know how you can wait that long to start the engine up. That's priority one when I'm building one. I just have to hear it running once in a while to keep the old mojo flowing.

Keep hammering on it!!
Maybe that's what I am doing wrong. [S

I can be just so perfectionistic that I want it to all be just right before I even think of starting it up. Plus, gives me something to really strive for. For me, safety is the biggest concern so I am okay with making sure it can stop and steer before it can even move.

So, she's almost ready to run. Got the drivers side header finished this morning and filler her full of coolant. Still need to change the oil in the engine after sitting for so long. Gotta get a breather and pcv as it turns out I lost both. Here's how the drivers side header turned out.

I've seen driveshafts used before but the "knuckles on" idea is pretty radical...I like it! I bet you're getting that asphalt taste in your mouth by now...[cl

Latest posts

Back