Smallfoot's AA

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just went back to the first page to have another look at what you started with

[cl

Lots of people start with a 10 times better body and end up with a ride not half as cool as yours. Or worse yet, they never get it on the road.

Congratulations for building a real hot rod.

Thanks alot ya'll! It takes people that have gone thru it before to appreciate the effort involved. This truck has been a blast to build and so far it's a blast to rip up the driveway. That test drive on pavement will let me know if there are any adjustments to be made. It'll be hard to see me in anything else for a while. My next move will have to be a motor change and tranny rebuild for my dd 83 C10. Because of the hack job on wiring by PO, I want to simplify my wiring and dash on that. It won't be a long running deal. I have a 55 Servicar that needs some changes. That may get some attention soon.
I sincerely thank ya'll for following along and the motivation ya'll provided!

So what's the hold up to get it on the road? Did I miss something?
And yes I'm too lazy to go back thru and check.
This is one ride that needs to be on the road and enjoyed.

So what's the hold up to get it on the road? Did I miss something?
And yes I'm too lazy to go back thru and check.
This is one ride that needs to be on the road and enjoyed.

Heheh! It's an intentional thing. I already know my work time got cut way down when it got driveable, even if I could only cruise my dirt road. I stop early everyday, go pick up the mutt and we cruise the roads out here. I even put it to some tractor work dragging the road smooth after cutting it up with dados...:D
Got my paperwork ready, need to drop by the insurance co. and then hit the county tax collector...

Well alrighty then I was afraid you were having trouble getting it road legal.
I'll shut up and just admire your killer ride from afar.

Well poopy

:confused:Jeez looweeze...got to the insurance co this am. Am insured! Get to the County Tax Collectors office and gee, I'm only number 69 in line. Ok, being a patient individual, I wait and when it's my turn stepped up to the window. Good clear title. Good insurance. Good id. Lady asks me if it's in the parking lot. "No, I didn't drive it because I have no tag"(bordering on smartass) She asks if it's the original motor to which I respond, "no". Oh boy, the fun begins. She started printing out forms to hand me and informs me I need the motor number on the present motor and asks if the one in it is pre-55 or after. I tell her "after" . To this she tells me I need the motor number of the present motor and a bill of sale for the motor...well gee, I've owned it since 79-80 and I told her it might be hard getting that. I'm home, fuming a little. Looks like the crate motor might get swapped into the truck. I should be able to provide my bill of sale for that.
I guess I've not registered something this old so I was unaware of the this. I've never had a problem when all the paperwork was there and everything signed. Little minor setback which may take a few days. Was hoping to be legal this weekend...maybe next! sorry for the rant...bam, into a wall[ddd

In all my years of playing with cars, I have yet to get the same story from two different DMV employees. [S I have found that if I don't like the outcome of a conversation, thank them and call back, or get in line again tomorrow, or go to a different office.

Hope it all works out without too much additional frustration.

I think Bob is right, though. That receipt has to be in a file somewhere. I think it was just written on notebook paper by the guy that parted out the car it came from. :D

I hate the DMV around here. The only good thing is CT did away with inspections and only has emissions for newer vehicles. Thank goodness cause whenever I get the vair done I know there would be a lot of b.s. over that!

Getting on the road legally can be a real pain in the rear.
Hope I didn't jinx you when I was afraid there was a problem.
Now there is a problem. Sorry man! Stay after it you'll get there.

It's all good guys! I'll get her done. Thing that jazzes me the most is the waste of half a day and still have to do the happy horse pie routine all over again monday.If I had known ahead of time on this issue, I would have had paperwork for the motor too. I had everything else. To be honest, and I am, I won't screw with it on the motor in it now. It was a vehicle owned by an ex that we parted. I snagged the motor for a 72 C10 I had. I didn't get no paperwork from her then and I won't try either. Faking it just don't feel right. The crate motor I have sitting in wait has all the numbers and I have the receipts, just gotta go back monday. It's a 25 mile one-way trip and if it's busy as today in the office, there's another half day shot in the butt.

Unless it's some obscure holiday or some dead president's birthday, they'll be open. I got the clerk's number and I will call first. Thanks for the reminder Country Misfit! That would really torque me off if I pulled that stunt too...

The Tax office has turned my truck into a trailer queen

There seems to be no end to the fun and games. Still hasn't happened and another 1/2 day in my life lost to bs...plum damn pitiful!

So, after friday's fiasco. I was sent home with an affidavit to fill out and instructions to provide motor number with bill of sale that provides make and year from which the motor came. Ok problem number one. You goes and pays yo money to a parts store. The parts store orders a reman motor from a Remanufacturing business. They in turn ship the motor to the parts store. The parts store calls me to come pick up the motor. Whodahell knows what it came from??? Today, I went in with all the shipping labels from the crate motor. Pictures of the ser no. stickers on the block and all. I also went by the auto parts store to get an invoice for the purchase which they found in their computer a printed me a copy. With those items in hand and sure I had everything I was told I needed, I returned to the tax office. Wasn't as crowded and got right up to the window in about 15 minutes. Didn't get the same girl. Ok, over we go with the whole routine again. I even suggested to her that she speak to the woman next to her as she was the one I spoke to Friday. She does. That woman steps over and tells the other lady what she told me to bring and I start handing her paperwork. This 2nd lady can't seem to grip reality with a cargo net. I pulled out the invoice where I paid for the motor under part # VC04(Autozone's part number for a 1976 Chevy nova 305) I have the printout where if they type that part number into their computer, it comes up with this motor. That lady asks where the motor number is on the invoice, I look and no, it can;t be found on the invoice.(it's under the parts number it was ordered with which is VC04. That is on the invoice. Next I show them the stickers and there are a bunch of them. 4 stickers with both Autozone's pt #VC04 and the ser no. of the motor from the factory stapled to the packing crate. One extra sticker that is identical to the little stickers placed on the block and head of the reman. A return ticket with both numbers in case I have to return the motor. Several other papers with both numbers and this woman says "nope" you need a bill of sale or invoice with the ser no. on the invoice....I think my head exploded somewhere in there. Went back to autozone after leaving the tax office and spoke to 3 different people that all showed me that both numbers existed in several places and the county clerks were just jerking me around. Now get this. Autozone tells me the only thing he can print out is the invoice as it comes from the computer by using the transaction number. He does that and I get the same stuff I had, then he steps up and prints out what comes out after typing the VC04 in....1976 chevy nova 305. Then he tells me if he changes anything on the invoice he's falsifying records and that's a no no...gives me the number to the factory which I call later and find that they tell me the same thing. They sent the ser. nos. on all the slips and it could be cross referenced directly to the part no VC04.
Sorry for the novel length rant guys but what the??? I'm loaded on the trailer. My plans are to hit their parking lot before office hours in the morning. I might just block the main entrance with all the jazz I'm hauling just to get these numbers checked. May not be anybody else into the office until I get my tags if they aren't careful. Both of these clerks had to ask, is it out in the lot where we can check the numbers??? duh! nope. That's what I'm over here for maam is to get my tags...I told em I'd have to trailer it in.[S

Latest posts

Back