63 corvair

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been gone awhile

Sorry I haven't posted in a long time. I started building a carriage shed so I can eventually work at my house and not have to keep traveling back and forth to my parents. I finally have gotten back into the groove. I am redoing the floor and reinforcing it with some extra mounts. I painted and mounted the ss wheels I had gotten. Here's a few pics of what I have done so far...

New bug catcher air scoop

Trunk area where I made gas tank straps to mount the stock fuel tank in the rear of the car

Welded in the last rear body mount bracket and the cross support to which I mounted the gas tank straps

Custom top straps

Tank installed, I braced the center support and add in the floor supports that I will attach the sheet metal to.

That's all for now, should have some more done this weekend. Thanks

Leaving NO room for the driver!!!

somewhere on the inters net I saw an early 64? Corvair with a counter rotating 409 in place of the original flat six. EEK!!!

I test-drove a Chevy 350 rear engine transplant way back in the '70s which was badly done and terrifying! Never been so cramped in a car either. The steering wheel was LITERALLY in my chest and knees just behind that! Good to see you are going to do it the RIGHT way. [cl

Yea I have seen a bunch with the SBC right behind the driver seat. Not my idea of a fun ride with all the heat and fumes. Plus the lack of room like you said.

A guy I went to college with put a sbc in the rear. It was featured in a magazine, probably in the late 60's or early 70's. He went from 100 mph to 0 mph in only a couple seconds by hitting a berm in the median of I-94. Bowtied the steering on his way out the door. RIP Skip.

There's a straight axle, front engine one around here but I can't find my pics of it.

A bit more today..

Got a bit more done today. Got the trunk floor made, the gas filler door cut out and ready to get tacked in the back, and the start to the cover for the gas tank. Tried to take lots of pics for you guys. Thanks for the encouragement. Trying to keep on it so I can maybe have it on the road before another 2 years go by!

Fresh new sheet of 18 guage..

All in all a good weekend

Got a bit more done today. Made for a pretty productive weekend.

Finished up the gas tank cover.

Welded nuts underneath for the screws to hold the cover down.

Tacked the fuel door in place.

Filler pipe mocked up.

Cut out the back of the battery box to make it deeper for a bigger battery and cause it was rotted.

New battery box.

Battery for mock up fit.

Lastly I finished welding in the gas door and ground down the welds a bit. I will finish it up better later.

Thanks again for the responses. Hope to keep going next weekend..

So like.... I do different builds and all. I enjoy seeing people be creative.

I enjoying bringing the dead back to life with style.

Around 2004 when I was finishing a 64 galaxie build, I acquired a free 1960 corvair. First year. Same style as yours. Always hated the four doors but the two just had that classic cool look to them. Things junk. But the body is full and there. Interior somewhat salvageable. Or At least to use as a diagram for whatever I end up redoing for interior. Anyhow, so the past ten years I've been researching and lookin up how to make one of the earlier styled 2 dr corvair conversion to full frame bad ass little zip car for cruising round in when I'm not rat rodding in my 29 sedan.... And here is someone else with the same idea. Thank you for posting this! I'm not alone!!! Haha. I ways thought this build would be soooo cool and surprised that more people have t thought about it. I guess that's what makes me like building things you don't typically see. Well hey, I just saw this randomly jumped on the site cuz I don't too much anymore. But need to, maybe this is some inspirational thing as well. Idk.

See my dad created the hot rodder in me and we've been a team our whole life and he just recently passed a month or so ago and I'm now fatherless and best friendless in the rat for world, but yeh, I plan on keeping our faith alive and he lives thru me so... I've layed low the past couple years. That and I have a 2 yr old daughter I'm pretty much fathering myself. So.. But yeah this is bad ass I saw this. Thank you. We'll have to chat when I get time and get back into the forum. And I plan on it. Keep on roddin everybody!

Hey solidnoise. So sorry to hear about your dad. I am glad I could get you excited over your Corvair project. I stumbled into this by accident. I had the s10 frame and drive train left over from another project. I found out that the wheel base of a standard cab short bed s10 had the same wheel base as a Corvair. So I jumped on Craigslist and found a guy 5 mins from my house who was moving and had several different vairs for sale. I bought mine for $300 delivered. And the rest is history. If you need any info I would be glad to help you. If I can lol. I am learning as I go myself. I have heard that a G body frame would work also and may allow you to position the engine lower in the car than I was able to with the truck frame. Anyway, good luck with your project. Post some pics and start a thread. Would love to see it.:D

Latest posts

Back