Mopar Reverse Trike

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got out the sawzall and trimmed everything down to the frame rails to get a good look at how the drive train and suspension mounts. The plan is to build a similar frame using 2x3 tubing. I'll be able to bring the frame rails in a few inches and duplicate the mounts for the drive train. The track width will stay the same with stock CV axles but I'll build tube upper and lower control arms and use a coil over shock rather than a strut. The cabin will be as wide as the frame rails and be center steer using a small manual rack; maybe something like a Geo Metro unit. Rails will taper in behind the passenger seat and use a single swing arm rear with a fairly wide tire. That's the plan so far...we'll see if it works out like I'm thinking.

Attachments

• IMG_0779.JPG
    IMG_0779.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0780.JPG
    IMG_0780.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0778.JPG
    IMG_0778.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 47
I really wanted to take my 49 to the car show tonight but of course it rained most of the day and is supposed to rain all weekend. So I did some more chopping. Going to spend tomorrow on my 48; I got some parts in the mail today so I'm going to work on getting the exhaust on.

Attachments

• IMG_0781.JPG
    IMG_0781.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0782.JPG
    IMG_0782.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0783.JPG
    IMG_0783.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 29
Both pretty cool! I've been looking at a lot of designs and decided to shoot for something similar to this. Wont be exact but relatively close.

Attachments

• 3-wheeler-FRS_2397408k.jpg
    3-wheeler-FRS_2397408k.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 44
Did a little more dis-assembly; I need to get rid of all the crap I'm not going to use and make some room. After some good advice, I think I'm going to use the front suspension as an assembly with the exception of a smaller manual rack, eliminating the strut towers and fabricating an upper control arm. Not sure how that's going to work yet but I've got some ideas. Also picked up some 2x3 rectangular tubing to start on a chassis as soon as I have the rest of the car stripped and out of the way.

Attachments

• IMG_0808.JPG
    IMG_0808.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0809.JPG
    IMG_0809.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 26
I trimmed everything down to the width of the unibody rails and will use this front section as a pattern to build the frame. Still have the rear section to cut up but wont be using any of it. As soon as its gone I'll have some room to work.

Attachments

• IMG_0810.JPG
    IMG_0810.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0811.JPG
    IMG_0811.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0812.JPG
    IMG_0812.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 21
This could be fun [P[P
The Morgan 3 wheeler was the most common "reverse trike" that comes to mind. Here's someone we all know out for a putt in his...

Attachments

• Jay_Leno_Morgan-3-Wheeler_0008.jpg
    Jay_Leno_Morgan-3-Wheeler_0008.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 23
Thanks! We'll see how good of an idea it was in the end. OK, all the junk is cut up and gone so here's my starting point. I need to get some things done on my 48 but should be able to start mocking up a frame soon.

Attachments

• IMG_0814.JPG
    IMG_0814.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0813.JPG
    IMG_0813.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 93
Still rear wheel drive falcon is brave enough to build a front wheel drive [cl
Waiting
[P[P

OK, here ya go, James Bond driving half a car. Guess you could call it front wheel drive - or since they're the only wheels, maybe it's all wheel drive :D. Obviously a stunt car, but it did work, a third wheel would make it a breeze to drive by comparison....
Are you going to use a fat tire out back?? Would be cool with one of those pro street type Mickey Thompson tires...[P[P

Attachments

• A-View-to-a-Kill-James-Bond-car-in-half.jpg
    A-View-to-a-Kill-James-Bond-car-in-half.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 39
Hah! That great, I love the old Bond movies. I'm not going to put a monster tire out back but definitely something wider than the Omni pizza cutters.

I went ahead a roughed together the frame today; I just used the front unibody rails as a guide and will transfer over the existing engine mounts and K-member mounts. It narrows right after the drivers seat and has just enough room for the passenger seat at the small end. Swing arm for the rear wheel will mount to the narrow end.

Attachments

• IMG_0815.JPG
    IMG_0815.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0816.JPG
    IMG_0816.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0817.JPG
    IMG_0817.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0818.JPG
    IMG_0818.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0819.JPG
    IMG_0819.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 38
I've been following your progress on this, and others' comments, both here & on the P15 site, and I'm curious as to the width of your frame at the driver's seat area, and on forward. I know that you are using the 2.2 engine, and I don't know that MoPar has any that are physically smaller. Like the 1.8 or 2.0, or is that all the same block? If so, is that engine wider than, say, a 1.4 out of a Chevy Spark, or something like that? Or is the engine forcing you to keep the frame rails wider than you would otherwise want at all? Is your front track going to be the same as the original car's?

Basically I used the 2.2 out of convenience. I had a ton of new parts for a 2.2 sitting here plus got the Omni with a clear title really cheap. Being just kind of a fun experiment, I figured the less $ I put into it, the better. I am keeping the front track width the same so I can use the original suspension cradle but narrowed the frame rails by a couple of inches. I picked up a video series that shows how Ed Roth built his custom bodies using a plaster over paper mâché form, covered it with fiberglass cloth and resin, and the broke out the plaster. Once I have a running, driving, chassis worked out, I'll be trying that method to build a body. Just something different to play with; hopefully it doesn't end up being a pile of abandoned crap that I have to haul off.

I laid the frame and the unibody front section side by side, drilled out the spot welds on the front suspension mounts, and transferred them over to the new frame. After a lot of measuring and remeasuring from different points it looks like they are in the right spot and everything is square. The goal is to get a rolling chassis and then figure out the drive train mounts.

Attachments

• 20150627_083406_resized.jpg
    20150627_083406_resized.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 20150627_083437_resized.jpg
    20150627_083437_resized.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 30
I got the suspension mounts finished today and bolted the IFS down for a test fit. Looks like everything is square. I also cut one side off of the rear axle and will use this piece to make the rear swing arm. I dont know what they make that axle material out of but it destroyed several heavy duty sawzall blades before I got through it so it must be pretty stout.

Attachments

• IMG_0831.JPG
    IMG_0831.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0832.JPG
    IMG_0832.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0833.JPG
    IMG_0833.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0836.JPG
    IMG_0836.JPG