1934 Auburn build....my way

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it was running when pulled mid 2014 I was told. I also have a 500 replacement that was pulled running in 2014 just in case. As funds allow,at least some valve covers and aluminum intake. I really want a little cam thump, but again $$$$$ must be spent wisely I was told by the "boss". although, she loves a thumper as well, so, .........[S.

June, man my friend, you wouldn't be getting a little anxious like me already would you. LOL. I have my sights set on the end of summer if at all possible, but .....?

find me some caddy parts that I can afford and we will go all out and make a huffer out of it.:D

You know it's easier to ask for forgiveness than asking for permission. Go for it, I'm sure she'll be fine with it at some point, some day, maybe, if she doesn't kill your or something worse.

The huffer idea sounds interesting. I like big motors with big blowers.

Ok friends, today I built motor mounts and now have a Cadillac 425/400 turbo nestled in her. I will be pushing the width limits to keep it all under the hood, but it should be minor mods. I have stainless block hugger headers on the way and will have to trim the inner fender wells only a touch I think. If all works well this week around here, I should hear her run soon.
Next in line is to figure a steering set up and away we go.[dr

Attachments

• 20150125_183140.jpg
    20150125_183140.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 20150125_183210.jpg
    20150125_183210.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 63
Ok peeps, I was back at it this week and weekend. I started off by trying to run the 425 caddy. I drained the oil and it looked like sludge. I rinsed it with diesel and thought it might help a little. I put a new starter on her and pulled all of the plugs. I didnt really like the looks of the plugs, but thought I would give her a try. I attempted to spin the motor with plugs pulled and it sounded as if the starter were no good. At this point I decided to pull the 425 and set the 500 in her and go from there. The 500 was supposed to be the better of the two when I got them from my buddy.
Now for the fun. As I was trying to remove the exhaust manifolds, I only BROKE OFF 5 bolts. yes I said 5. Three on one side, 2 on the other, one was already busted before my attempts. I managed to get two of them removed with heat because they broke at the head. The remaining 4 had to be drilled out. I ended up drilling and tapping the holes because heat and eazy outs were not the thing. After all that fun and 2 evenings of shop time, I had those all out and ready to continue on the install.

Last edited:
Saturday evening after a day of club meetings and eating, a grandson visit and a hour plus drive home, I got to the shop. I did install the headers and set the motor in her. Next is a distributor swap and plugs wires and cap, rotor. Oil change planned and try and start her up later. More to come.............[P

I started her up last night and had to change the carb. the one on it was not working properly, so I just switched the 425 one out to the 500. I did use 1 can of carb cleaner on it first and I mixed up a sea foam/gasoline mix to run through the temporary fuel tank.....gas can.... She fired up on the first spin and sounded pretty good for an open header, no exhaust, first start up. I let her run about 1 min and shut her down.

Now I am pulling the motor/trans out one more time and will be mounting the body on the rubber mounts. I decided this had to be done first so as to be able to fit the fenders on to the correct height. 1/4 inches really throws the body lines off on such a sleek car. LOL. I will have to do some trimming on the fender wells to make the headers fit so ..........onward and upward. I will try and post some pics soon.

thanks fellows for being patient with such a slow worker. :)

Bigdog, there are billions of people in the universe that can not say truthfully that they have a 500 Caddy sitting in their hotrod, running. You sir, are not in that group.[cl[cl:cool::cool::cool:

Latest posts

Back