broken off bolts

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat33pickmup

International man of mystery!
most of us have had Bolts break off and a few tricks I use are: 1. if there is a little bit sticking out and you can get to it take a nut that just fits over it and weld it in the center to the broken bolt 99% of the time the heat just goes down the threads of the bolt and breaks it loose so then ya just put a wrench on the nut and back it out while it is still hot. 2. if you have no choice but to drill it out. I make a small center hole then, I have a set of left hand drill bits and start drilling in reverse, most of the time they come out because the drilling heats up the bolt and the left handed drill bit bites it and it comes out, sometimes though its easier to replace the drill bit than to get the bolt thats stuck on the bit after its out.

Jim

Bolt broke off flush

This one is so good. Yes I am a little heavy handed....sausage fingers. So I broke off an EasyOut flush with the surface. I was trying to get a broken off bolt out well....

Here is the trick. My bolt was a 3/8 and the EasyOut was flush so I laid a 5/16 nut just on top of the broken off EO. Have someone hold it steady with vice grips and fill up the hole with your MIG. Heat it up a tad with the torch just to make sure....and out it comes.

Grace is a good thing huh...

I just get out my 1/4" wide cold chisel and a small hammer and tap on a half "pie cut" of the broken stud in a clockwise (tightening!) direction until it's jarred loose from the rust and permatex that's got it stuck in there.
Then as soon as I see it move some, I reverse direction and tap on it in the other direction in a circle till it backs out of the hole.
Works every time for me, even if they are a bit below surface as long as I can "see" the end with the chisel at a slight angle.

I just get out my 1/4" wide cold chisel and a small hammer and tap on a half "pie cut" of the broken stud in a clockwise (tightening!) direction until it's jarred loose from the rust and permatex that's got it stuck in there.
Then as soon as I see it move some, I reverse direction and tap on it in the other direction in a circle till it backs out of the hole.
Works every time for me, even if they are a bit below surface as long as I can "see" the end with the chisel at a slight angle.

I've never tried this method. I'll give it a shot the next time.

i find you get better resluts if you first weld a washer to the broken bolt then a nut to it. i usually go for the next size bigger on the nut and washer.

Sometimes I drill a hole in the broken bolt. When you weld the nut on it tends to shrink just a little. I have also heated the bolt up and stick a wax candle to it. it sucks the wax in and helps the broke stud come out. Main thing is to keep trying.TP

Latest posts

Back