Tranny fluid change

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIZEGUY

Our resident wisecat
On the alley fence meowing, somewhere in TN.
Here is a simple tip for anyone who has gotten tranny fluid spilled all over them. If you don't have a drain plug on your pan, you can do this.

Take all the bolts, except for four on the front corner area of the pan, out.
With drain pan in place, simply loosen the remaining four a little at a time.
The fluid will gradually drain into your pan as you go back and forth loosening the bolts.
If you use one hand and support the pan slightly, you will not bend or damage the edges.

Tracy

I go to a quick lube place. The T-tech machine drains and fills 14 quarts. If you do this with a new tranny or new vehicle, believe it or not, you won't ever have to change the filter. It pumps out all the impurities.
Not a bad price and I don't have to get my hands dirty...:D

I go to a quick lube place. The T-tech machine drains and fills 14 quarts. If you do this with a new tranny or new vehicle, believe it or not, you won't ever have to change the filter. It pumps out all the impurities.

What?

Jeff

YUP,
there is a machine that holds up to 24 qts. of fluid...They disconnect the lines from the rad., hook em up to this contraption, and it pumps all the old fluid out and fresh fluid in at the same time. Depending on where you are at as to how much it costs.....

I'm just gettin lazy in my (somewhat) old age :confused:

i had a 69 rambler that the tranny leaked so much i ran 1/2 pipe fittings from the drain thru the floor so i could add gear oil as needed, including tossing a quart or so in during a long road trip...

My brother used to wrench at a Dodge dealership before moving on to his chosen career.
I happened to be there one day when he was dropping a tranny out of a 50,000 mile car.
The guy had done the same thing since day one. The filter was clogged.

Even though you are pumping out the old fluid, there is no way to get the micro. dirt out of the filter. And it builds and builds and builds.

The factory/dealerships are the ones who came up with this practice and the quick lubes followed.

Think about it from the dealership standpoint. If you don't change your filter and only change your fluid, who are you going to go to for that new tranny?

What am I saying......dealerships wouldn't do anything underhanded..........

Also think about this. Would you pump out the engine oil and not change the filter?
Same principle.

I doubt it, I bet they just want it to go away. I thought it was funny that the District Manager wouldn't admit who he was. Real upstanding guy.:D

Don

Got a dumb question. How can you siphon trans fluid from the cooler lines when the high side gets it's pressure from the front pump located behind the torque converter, and the return line pours back into the sump through the casing. Both lines are mounted above the fluid level. The fluid level is at the top of the pan, and the lines are connected to the casing above it.

Latest posts

Back