Bits and pieces, Leslie's car.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I was originally going to do something different for the inner door handles but due to a lack of scrap steel, had to use chain on the inside. Just like anything else I build from scrap, the second one always turns out better.

Attachments

• 34052EA6-B8FE-4E0B-AB9A-DC8DDA2DD425.jpg
    34052EA6-B8FE-4E0B-AB9A-DC8DDA2DD425.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 33
So I was originally going to do something different for the inner door handles but due to a lack of scrap steel, had to use chain on the inside. Just like anything else I build from scrap, the second one always turns out better.
Why mess with a good thing? Looks great! [cl

Finally got around to “duplicating” the striker plate so now the doors shut good and tight. Even though they’re not identical, they work very well. That’s one less thing on the list to do.

Attachments

• 166F28F6-4F2D-44A5-AE72-4CF031CA7742.jpg
    166F28F6-4F2D-44A5-AE72-4CF031CA7742.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 14FD92C3-E55D-43F5-8B19-EC82E1C913A3.jpg
    14FD92C3-E55D-43F5-8B19-EC82E1C913A3.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 28
Finally got around to “duplicating” the striker plate so now the doors shut good and tight. Even though they’re not identical, they work very well. That’s one less thing on the list to do.
Which is which? They both look the part. :D [cl

Anyhow, finally ordered up the bottom end kit yesterday so should be here in a week or so and then I can get the bottom end of the engine put together. I’ll then order a rebuild kit for the heads and send them off to the machine shop to have them cleaned, hardened seats put in, and new guides. A bad case of insomnia kicked in today so I started mapping out my wiring. Started by trimming the fat off of it so to speak. They really try hard to make it easy, and I’m sure for most folks it is but I like mounting my fuse blocks in weird places and running the loom under the floor because I don’t want carpet, so it makes the way they split up the wires a bit difficult. So yeah, that’s what I’ve been up to.

Well, plan was to start putting the 312 back together this week but as it turns out, my eyes deceived me yet again. Might be time to go back to glasses. Noticed that the new rod bearings and the old bearings didn’t quite look the same. Upon further inspection, what I thought I had read as STD was 010. D’oh, and I like a SBC, Mopar, or even a more normal Ford engine, the y-block bearings are almost 3x the price. So, I’ll get those ordered up on Friday. Good news is, the wiring is all finished up aside from the engine gauges, charging and starting system, and headlights.

As a side note, has anyone ever attempted to redrill Chevy brake rotors to a 5x5.5? It looks like there’s enough meat there to redrill them and use lug bolts(like how the Germans did it on vws and Mercedes) rather than lug studs and nuts.

As a side note, has anyone ever attempted to redrill Chevy brake rotors to a 5x5.5? It looks like there’s enough meat there to redrill them and use lug bolts(like how the Germans did it on vws and Mercedes) rather than lug studs and nuts.

I would ask a machine shop about redrilling your rotors. Not so sure tapping cast iron rotors is such a great idea. Let us know what you find out.

Got to love those old engine parts.
I'm trying to prepare my Bro-in-law for the sticker shock when we start to work on that Marine Y-block.:eek:
[P [P [P
Torchie

Latest posts

Back