Alabama Newbs

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowman

Hello from Alabama everyone.
Both my son and I are new to the Rat Rod world. We are about to start our first ever project.
It's a 56 Buick Special we bought a few days ago.
We we be looking for advise on several areas, Like suggestions for a motor,Trans and rear end.
This car will be a every day driver for my son, so I have to keep that in mine.

Here are the First pictures

5E65F35J13K93M93Hbc8f9aaef512c3df1dd6.jpg

5Ib5F85X53E63I43Hfc8f66d0ce0ea1f019d3.jpg

DSC032428-16-12.jpg

Hello. welcome to RRR:cool:........... He looks happy anyway [cl.. you will find all the help u need from a lot of really talented people.[S

Awesome, I like the chunky buldging front chrome. Don't mess with the exterior.:D

Get a powerplant/trans/rear combo that will be bullitproof enuf to withstand being a daily driver, something not far off stock lest you wanna be under the hood more often for unwanted reasons rather than just basic maintainence or the mere fact you just like getting your hands greasy every weekend.[;)

Welcome to RRR! Sweet ride. 350/30 combo is about as cheap, easy, and reliable as it gets. (I can't believe I just suggested a 350!)

Welcome to RRR..cool father/son project..

I've always thought one of those with the entire drivetrain out of a buick grand national would be cool..wouldn't be cheap, but would be cool..

Welcome from Salem. Nice find. I'm sure you & your son are going to enjoy the build no matter what drivetrain you choose. And speaking of builds we're going to have to have pictures as you progress along. [P

One thing about the old Buicks you may or may not know....they used a closed driveline like the early Fords, and the torque tube helps locate the axle housing. So any engine/tranny swap will have to include a rear end swap, as well as a 4 link or something like that to keep the axle in place.

What kind of condition is the nailhead in? those are good motors to build and use, lots of parts still avaiable for them, and some neat old style hot rod stuff.

My first cousin has a 56 4 door, flat black, he drives it all the time.

Outstanding for a young man to have as a daily driver.
Love father son/daughter projects helps build caricature in a person.
I'll be watchin your build thread so lotsa pics please

Latest posts

Back