vertical bandsaw

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The biggest advantage to having a true metal cutting vertical bandsaw for me is that I feel very safe using it. Our horizontal bandsaw (A Jet) also flips up and becomes a vertical model, but it runs faster than our true vertical model and the blade is wider. I never felt comfortable using it and feared for my fingers! :eek: The vertical one just goes nice and slow and never really kicks the piece you are cutting, so you have good control over it. Every time I use it I like it even better.

Don

I found a used vertical band saw after looking for years. It was cheap at only $75. It had a jackshaft, so I figured I could gear it down if needed.
I haven't slowed it yet, but I really like it.
To make it safer, I bought a $2 Harbor Freight plastic pusher stick. It's bright orange and fits my hand good. You could make one too.

I bought my blades at: http://www.bandsawbladesdirect.com/
They make nearly any length blades you want, so if you find a good deal on the saw, you probably don't have to worry about blades. The price was decent and I had used mine hard already with good results.

I still wish I had a more expensive metal only unit, but I would rather give up my Hypertherm 600 Plasma than my vertical band saw. The biggest reasons are that the band saw is always ready. No air hose, no rolling it over, no plugging it in, no hooking up the ground and hardly any re-prep after you're done.

well i bought a bandsaw when i 1st posted this that i wanted a vertical bandsaw i got messing around with mine and it its a horizontal/vertical bandsaw so im happy. the guy that sold it to me thought it was just a horizontal bandsaw also

I recently saw a conversion table to mount up a porta band to make an upright band saw. As soon as I find a little time, I'll build one and post up some pics.

i still want to build a base for my bandsaw to make the whole thing swivel because right now the top doesnt swivel and its a pain cutting metal someone

i still want to build a base for my bandsaw to make the whole thing swivel because right now the top doesnt swivel and its a pain cutting metal someone

My horizontal is a swivel unit. It came that way with a quick release handle on the back. It's nice to go from 90 to 45 degress without having to move the machine away from the wall for longer sticks of steel etc. I think you could make a plate to bolt down over your current unit to work just like that fairly easily. Post some pics when you do.

Latest posts

Back