Looking for a good drill press

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where you located?

LOL ok i will check them out.

electric motors are pricey!! ouch

I've got some friends in the electrical business....(thank God) that got me a new motor for my air compressor .... decent price compared to anywhere else..also they did the changeover on my line service coming in and changed out the old circuit panel to flip type from the old push style breakers that go bad and cost a fortune....maybe I can help you out..might even have an old motor that would slip right in....

COOL!! thanks I'm not finding this drill press on line. Going to take it apart when I get some time and do what you said to do.

I'll make a few calls in the am

COOL!! thanks I'm not finding this drill press on line. Going to take it apart when I get some time and do what you said to do.

see what I can do to find something that would work....just in case...can alway ship it to you...1/2 can't weigh that much....one of those USPS one size box ships up to whatever....I'll use the pic to give them the info....just in case...

Ok sounds good. If you find a motor that will work for me let me know how much money I will need to send your way. Thanks for all the help

Ok well a little trouble shooting. I plugged it back in with the switch in the off position and the motor is getting power. I tried spinning the motor with it having power to it. The motor popped when this happen so I unplugged it. Now the switch was in the off position while I spun the chuck. Don't know if this helps narrow it down.

sounds like an armature or winding problem..

Ok well a little trouble shooting. I plugged it back in with the switch in the off position and the motor is getting power. I tried spinning the motor with it having power to it. The motor popped when this happen so I unplugged it. Now the switch was in the off position while I spun the chuck. Don't know if this helps narrow it down.

maybe a shorted armature....waiting for my friend to call me back...I'll let you know if he has anything....or how much it would cost for him to buy new....

I'd find an electric motor repair place near you and take the motor to them for quick look. The motor on one of our drill presses quit about 2 years ago. I figured it was shot, so I pulled it off and took it to the shop. Waited while they checked it out. It was a bad capacitor 15 minutes and $20.00 and we were back in business.

sweet! I think it has something to do with a capacitor. I will let yall know what I find out. Thanks

buddy says he thinks he's got one in the garage..

he'll dig thru the stuff and let me know....I hope it's something easy and cheap.....we don't have any electric motor repairs around here....at least not within 50 miles.....

Well got the motor to the shop this morning. First thing the old man man says looking at the motor was "looks like one of those foreign jobs!" I laughed. They got it fixed for 28 dollars!! so happy. He told me that the motor might not last lost. I guess it being a foreign job. But all I have in the press is 28 dollars now so at least it will give me time to save some money for a better drill press. It will do for now. Thanks for the help!!

Josh

Oh he never said what was wrong with it. I forgot to ask. I might call him tomorrow and ask him just for knowledge in the future.

Good deal....

Well got the motor to the shop this morning. First thing the old man man says looking at the motor was "looks like one of those foreign jobs!" I laughed. They got it fixed for 28 dollars!! so happy. He told me that the motor might not last lost. I guess it being a foreign job. But all I have in the press is 28 dollars now so at least it will give me time to save some money for a better drill press. It will do for now. Thanks for the help!!

Josh

Oh he never said what was wrong with it. I forgot to ask. I might call him tomorrow and ask him just for knowledge in the future.

Glad you got it handled.......I'll let my friend know he can disregard the search...LOL

Glad it turned out to be something simple and cheap to fix. It might last you forever because a drill press isn't something that you run and run, you just drill a hole or two and shut it off.

Don

That's what I was thinking. I didn't know if maybe he thought that I was using it for a business.

Used the drill press today for drilling through 3 inches of oak. Did ok... Not the best. The bit wobbles a little and the motor wobbles also. I think I going to make a better mount for it to cut down on all vibration.

But for 28 dollars not to bad!

Latest posts

Back