Need some artists design ideas!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmlcolorado

Found this old bench ready to trash. I liked it and couldn't let it go, so I grabbed it.

I'm not a big fan of ornimentl flowery girly crap, and the sides are nice and simple, so I'm going to keep them.
The goal is to remove the framed back, cut out all the flowery crap, and cut and bend up some need hot rod themed design that i can put in.

I need some ideas here that would consist of maybe an old hot rod truck, or coupe or something. I SUCK at drawing, so if I did it, I would fail miserably and would be embarrassed to show it off in front of the house :rolleyes:

I'm thinking rebar would make a good material, since it's easily minipulated and isn't a structural thing.

What do you guys think? Can someone draw something up for me?

photo-358.jpg

Something like this?! Clean, easy to copy lines that i can print out a big template then just bend bar stock to match. Weld it all together, then powdercoat it.
Fresh new wood, maybe in a cool Hot Rod color, then seal the crap out of it.

Attachments

• photo-358 modified2.jpg
    photo-358 modified2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 85
OOOOOOO!
What might be even better, for that particular car, cut out the outline in 16 gauge, then where there would be curves and contours, weld on smooth bar stock (like around the fenders) around the wheel well, for example, then add more sheeting to make it more 3D.

Might be a little more complicated then i can do, but its an idea.

Now THIS is a suitable use for rebar... [;)

My thoughts EXACTLY! :D

This MIGHT be the only other good thing rebar is good for cept reinforcing concrete.
BTW, Heres some concrete caps that were working on today at work.
This particular one is stabilizing a Post Tension cable slab that is broken and falling away from the building. It still has a handful of bars to go in still, but you get the idea.
:eek:

DSCN2813.jpg

Something like this?! Clean, easy to copy lines that i can print out a big template then just bend bar stock to match. Weld it all together, then powdercoat it.
Fresh new wood, maybe in a cool Hot Rod color, then seal the crap out of it.

I like this...and maybe some old gears in the sides underneath where you put your arms. Or...If a person had two old fenders (front or rear) he could put them as arm rests

Now THIS is a suitable use for rebar... [;)

....and the crowd roars! [cl[cl[cl

I like the sheetmetal idea. Make a silhouette and back it with reeeebar. A dude I used to work with did a few artsy pieces like that and they were really nice. He used an overhead projector, blew an image up onto paper, transfer to metal, cut with a bandsaw.

Pinched from the net...

snw-9102_w-550x550.jpg

Last edited:
....and the crowd roars! [cl[cl[cl

I like the sheetmetal idea. Make a silhouette and back it with reeeebar. A dude I used to work with did a few artsy pieces like that and they were really nice. He used an overhead projector, blew an image up onto paper, transfer to metal, cut with a bandsaw.

Pinched from the net...

snw-9102_w-550x550.jpg

Ooooo!
Yeah! I really like this one! I might do this car instead!
Kinda wish I had a bead roller, I'd make all kinds of fun stuff!

Guess i should update this one eh? :)
Heres the progress:
photo-952.jpg

photo-1635.jpg

photo-420.jpg

photo-2077.jpg

photo-2233.jpg

photo-1075.jpg

photo-1783.jpg

photo-1509.jpg

Still have some left to do. I gotta make the windows a bit bigger and then cut them out. I got some welding rod that'll allow me to weld mild steel to cast iron, so thats next. After that ill sand it all down and paint it. Probably going to use a hammer finish of some sort.

Still not sure if i should keep all the welds around the thing or not. I kinda like them.

Gotta play with the wheels a bit to finish them off too.

Latest posts

Back