I want your opinion on metal

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smiliey Smiles

Time to start thinking about the metal for my floorpans for my Model A rat. I've read alot on the fourms and of all the choices and comments I think 18 guage cold rolled low carbon steel might be my choice. Am I thinking right here. Please elaborate on what you used and why. I would like to know your thinking.

Thanks for your knolledge

Here's my 2 cents.
I have used everything on floor pans from 16 Ga to Traffic signs:eek: And every thing in between. Plan for current project is 16 gauge because that is what I have axcess to.
Some times Ga of the metal is dependent on amount of bracing, framing, ect.
18 works fine but if you have a large unsupported area you most likely will need to run some beads for stiffness and to eliminate any oil canning.
Post some pics so we can see.
Torchie.

Indeed, like Torchie said, it all does depend on the span, and what support you have and whether or not you are going to emboss it or bead it for strength as well...

I just happened to have a bunch of thicker material for my floor for free, so my floor is probably a little thicker than most people use.

I like making my floors out of 18 gauge but I put a subframe of stuff like 1 x 1 or 1 x 2 tubing under it for support, then roll beads into the sheet metal for stiffness.

Don

Thanks for the tips and yep thats pretty work there Don. I got a buddy with a bead roller thats going to send it home with me the next time I'm back home in a few weeks. Don can you post more pictures of the frame work before the floor pans and your tunnel from the bottom side for the drive shaft.

Thanks for comments guys!

I really don't have any pictures from the underside, just the ones from the top that I already posted in my thread. IMO the subframe is the key to getting a good strong floor, the sheet metal is just the skin you put your feet on. The idea of the beads is to give the tin some rigidity and to keep it from "oil canning"

I like to start the subframe around the outside perimeter of the body and then do the tunnel supports, then I add the pieces of rectangular tubing to fill in between the sides and the tunnel.

Don

Here, this picture of the underside of my Son's rpu will show you a little of what it looks like underneath.

Latest posts

Back