Jackets or Aprons

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

35Mastr

Mastr Blastr
Welding Jackets or Aprons

Anyone have any personel preferences on welding jackets or aprons.My shirts are starting to take a beating from grinding and welding.I was looking for something comfortable and that will last.

All good and bads are welcome on all the products that you use.

Last edited:
Anyone have any personel preferences on welding jackets or aprons.My shirts are starting to take a beating from grinding and welding.

Master,
After sunburning my arms too many times I like to use a leather apron & arm protectors. They take wear very well. I have a hard time using welding gloves & typically only use them on big jobs to avoid real & radiation burns.

BoB

I usually wear gloves no matter what.I just wear those Tillman tig or the Miller ones.They are extra soft so you can feel stuff and easy to move or pic stuff up without taking them off.Not to mention that I always steady my mig gun with my left hand and it gets real hot real quick.If not I am always burning my hands.

I have been looking at the Tillman jackets and the BSX series.I just want somthing thats going to be comfortable.

In the summer, a t-shirt with cotton welding sleeves when I am welding and I pull em off when I am not. Winter, a good cotten long sleve work shirt, plenty of starch, (usually cowboy style with the cute little pearl snaps), hey they work. Sometimes a long sleeve t shirt, but I ruin alot of them. That's why they call em "work shirts"

I like a light weight leather glove, until I fire up the forge, then I go for the heavy ones.

On a side note, a white shirt may reflect light into your helmet and make it hard to see, and hard on your eyes too.

The shop next door to me is a structial steel fabricator. Large columns and beams. Big welders turned way up all the time. I am friends with the owner. He just wears these thick silver sleeves, cotton bib overalls and gloves. Maybe the same thing Bonehead just mentioned.

But I'll tell you what, he aint got no cute little snaps.:D

Hey guys,I have been busy with my home addition and have not been on here much at all but saw this post and had to reply!
I weld for a living at a conveyor company and in the warm months I wear just a T-shirt to weld in but I put a little bit of sun-block on my arms and I don't get any weld burn at all! Tropical tanning oil works well too.In the winter I wear a cotton sweatshirt which will eventually burn the sleaves out of it!
Try the sun block it works and it is cooler than a longsleeve shirt !

Believe it or not.....

Summer gear: Worn vans or flip flops, shorts - dark, T-shirt - dark, green welding sleeves, Tilman gloves - the thick ones or Jersey cheapies - sometimes mismatched & one of my trusty auto-shade hoods (depending on TIG or MIG - NO grinding with welding hood on).

Winter: Just add dark sweet shirt

Yes ...... I am a sight.

My instep has way to many burns from "real" work boots & welding.

Ratty 46

After my back surgery I couldn't wear my boots, so I burned up a good pair of tennis shoes. Started with the laces, and went from there. Can't imagine flip flops.

Back in my comfortable boots.

Cause I do soooo much aluminum.... those 700 degree + snot balls I like to flick off the end of the weld rod use to end up in my boots (never really liked lacing them tight) that I find when they do hit the skin now they have a dendency of bouncing off.....leaving a small red mark only.

Grinding in thems a bitch though.

Ratty 46

Latest posts

Back