Willys long cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He used a pic of the left side of the car while talking about putting a door in the right side. Unless he was in a country with right hand steering. I used to work for a company that made both right and left hand drive trucks.

[S[S
Oh OK. You are right as rain, The door will be added on the drivers side.
Like I said I'm old.

[S[S:eek:[S[S
So I pulled the drive train out of the Dakota frame to remove the lift on the front end and it dawned on me that the torsion bar set up and cross member was going to be in the way of the transfer case when moving the engine/trans back enough.

I may need to go to a 4x4 straight axle instead of the IFS.

Back to the drawing board for a new plan.

maybe use coilovers?

Your trans/t-case combo is crazy long! What did Dodge use in a short wheelbase vehicle, like the old Ramcharger???

It is a long drawn out thing. I don't know about the Ramcharger, probably the same.

After 1996 they changed the whole drive train when they went to the 4.7 Engine.

I've got to use this engine/trans/t-case so I have to figure a work around.

Progress.......

With the decision to go with the carburetor instead of the EFI I started getting most of the crapola off the engine. Then I decided it needs to be bored .040 over, new heads and a new cam to make it MOpar BETTER.

I started with the shortening of the frame by 5". Got it cut, pulled into place, leveled, squared and ready to weld up tomorrow.

I'm doing the stuff that doesn't cost anything till I can sell my Yearlings the end of March. Hopefully the cattle market isn't in the tank because of this Covid Crap.

Attachments

• IMG-3010.jpg
    IMG-3010.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG-3009.jpg
    IMG-3009.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG-3011.jpg
    IMG-3011.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG-3013.jpg
    IMG-3013.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG3015.jpg
    IMG3015.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG-3028.jpg
    IMG-3028.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG-3029.jpg
    IMG-3029.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 28
If beef prices at my grocery store are any indicator, the cattle market should be booming. But I'll admit to not knowing much about the ins and outs of the market.

The splice looks nice. [cl

Thanks guys.
Still beatin on it.

OI- That's for sure.
We are trying to maximize our return on our beef calves. In it with my oldest son in Texas.

I bought a registered Wagyu bull two years ago and put him on 25 Angus cows.
Hoping to contract 23 head [Keeping 2 for our freezers] of yearlings coming off of wheat pasture into a F1 Wagyu program going into the feed lot.

The if in the plan is the processing plants during the Covid thing.

Frame....

This frame was out of square by 3/8" when I checked it before starting the frame shortening. I thought that was a little excessive. I messed with it for what seemed like forever, got it within an 1/8" and called it good.
Got it welded up and fish plated today.

Now I can set the cab on the frame and make body mounts.

Attachments

• IMG-3034.jpg
    IMG-3034.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG-3038.jpg
    IMG-3038.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG-3040.jpg
    IMG-3040.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 31
Frame looks good.[cl :D :cool: :cool:[;) [;)
A 4x4 frame from around my neck of the woods would be beat to #%&$.
It's called square if the drivers door stay shut when you drive down the road.:p [ddd
[P [P [P
Torchie

Frame looks good.[cl :D :cool: :cool:[;) [;)
A 4x4 frame from around my neck of the woods would be beat to #%&$.
It's called square if the drivers door stay shut when you drive down the road.:p [ddd
[P [P [P
Torchie

I know what you mean beat to #%&$. Heavy on the $$$$$
The front end on this one is a pain in the butt. It had a cheap and badly designed lift installed on it that I'm taking off.

Who'd a thought you can't buy a new pair of stock upper control arms for a '95 Dakota 4WD?

[S[S:confused::confused:

glad to see i am not the only guy to use ratchet straps for frame shenanigans. [cl[cl[cl

Ratchet straps, cable come a longs, Cut, Heat, Beat and Weld!!!
What ever works and gets the job done.
If I was going to do this kind of thing for a living,
I would build a frame table. :eek::eek:

Mock up....

My helper and I got the cab set on the frame and after some slicing and dicing for some clearance for the fuel tank we got it and the bed where I want it. I'll build an off set in the floor under the rear seat to cover the hole.

Now we can make the mounts for the cab and bed. Then I can install the 3rd door on the drivers side.

STILL BEATIN ON IT!! And having fun.

Attachments

• IMG-3077-1.jpg
    IMG-3077-1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG-3079.jpg
    IMG-3079.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG-3071.jpg
    IMG-3071.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG-3073.jpg