Bug to Butterfly

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, still have the house but have just today hired a different agent and are putting it back on the market. Hoping this time will work :)

The new house is great .. really enjoy eating the grape jam, apple sauce and strawberry preserves that my wife made from fruit grown in our yard :D On the other hand, moving snow from this large a driveway grows old pretty quickly. I got the old Case yard tractor running with its snowblower but it is rather inadequate .. doesn't throw the snow far enough so I wind up having to blow the same snow two or three times to get it off the driveway.

Sure hope you're job search goes well. I applied for, was offered and accepted the fleet maintenance job at a local golf course. Less money and seasonal but I look at it as being semi-retired. Working on their machinery will be a lot lighter and therefore easier on this old body of mine than the heavy duty equipment I've been working with. I've decided its time to slow down a bit. :)

Hopefully the house sells this time! Hmm, all those preserves sound like I need to visit! Ah, my dad ended up getting a 2 stage snowblower for his 20hp John Deere lawn tractor a few years ago, and loves it for clearing snow. It has a pretty good toss, much better than the old JD he was using previously. He even has a soft cab on it now so it's toasty warm.

Thanks, I appreciate the well wishes! Things may be starting to pick up, I think. That sounds like a great job, then you can get a whole ton more done on these other projects :D

Just curious how this kit turned out?They're still offering it does it come with all that's pictured?

Well that depends on how you look it at ... it is supposed to come with everything but several items were backordered on my purchase. They shipped the kit minus spacers, king pins, clevises, button head screws, u-joint and steering arms. After I complained they shipped the steering arms and the 8 button head screws. Still no word on when or if they are going to ship the rest. Overall, a terrible company to deal with. The parts that I did receive do seem to be of a reasonable quality though.

Well that depends on how you look it at ... it is supposed to come with everything but several items were backordered on my purchase. They shipped the kit minus spacers, king pins, clevises, button head screws, u-joint and steering arms. After I complained they shipped the steering arms and the 8 button head screws. Still no word on when or if they are going to ship the rest. Overall, a terrible company to deal with. The parts that I did receive do seem to be of a reasonable quality though.

That's typical of Hoffman Group. You'll be lucky if you get all of the kit. Most folks they wear you out with the waiting or just quit answering your emails and calls. That's why I warned you above/\. Hope it works out for you

food for thought. if interested in the roadster body shoot me a pm and i'll give you a link to the build.

Attachments

• bug1.jpg
    bug1.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 57
  • bug2.jpg
    bug2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 63
  • bug3.jpg
    bug3.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 67
  • bug4.jpg
    bug4.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Slowing down is good, just don't stop. Things quit working when not used. (and not just that)
Never stop. We'll have time for that when We're dead. Right? But if I can stay home for about the same money, and play with cars and stuff instead, color me there! :D

Not a lot to report. The project is still alive but collecting parts is very slow going and still waiting to get started on the workshop to build it in. However I have picked up an 8.8 Ford rear axle for the bug. And the engine part of the project is nearing completion.

355 SBC, ported Patriot angle plug heads, retrofit hydraulic roller cam, Crower stainless roller rockers 1.6/1.5 split ratio set, Offenhauser 360 dual quad intake modified to fit the raised intake ports, Holley 450 cfm carbs, Mallory marine distributor with crab cap and Pertronix electronic conversion, Corvette oil pan and windage tray, MT valve covers with old school breathers, Scat rods, .125 dome pistons for approx 10.5:1 compression ratio. Should make well over 400 hp and push the bug along just fine. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0771.jpg
    IMG_0771.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 47
Got a few things done for the Bug project ... got the front axle mocked up and ready to be fitted ... and got the engine home. Now I just have EVERYTHING ELSE left to do. But its a start. LOL! :)

I'm thinking of painting the scoop black and polishing the fins to try match the valve covers. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_0779.jpg
    IMG_0779.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0780.jpg
    IMG_0780.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0784.jpg
    IMG_0784.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0783.jpg
    IMG_0783.jpg