Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 01-22-2021, 07:43 PM
He's rockin' the "Nuttin Special"!

What tranny and motor did you get in the s10?
Old 01-22-2021, 07:47 PM
He's rockin' the "Nuttin Special"!

If you got a 4.3 motor the tranny could probably work unless it was something you just didn't want. 4.3 same as sbc bolt pattern.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:26 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchie View Post
A balmy 18 degrees and snow here today and this just showed up in my front yard.
99 S-10. 2 Wheel drive long wheel base. 122.9 inches
The Dodge's Wheel base is 123.5 Inches. So I think I can get it where it needs to be without having to cut the frame.
I"m done flip flopping on the frame for this project. This will be it(Unless a beautiful stock 49-50 Dodge coronet frame falls from the sky. ).
So all you S-10 guys out there clue me in on doing a V-8 swap.
I suspect it will be a SBC as at this point I need to go with what works best.
Are you using the kits that are available or what??? HELP.
Torchie
The kits are for putting a V8 in an S10. Odds are against needing to move the engine in that direction. On my 39, I centered the front fenders, and added the cab, more or less. Then you can sort out where you need to stick the engine. You should have more working room than the S10 engine bay has. I used stock motor mounts with slight modifications. Knowing what I know now, I might have done it a bit differently.

The rear axle can be adjusted with an adapter plate, with a pin on it, that hooks over the stock spring pin, and relocates the axle. These are available for centering the axle on an S10. I am sure you can make one to your specs. You will most likely be softening up the rear springs anyway.

You are lucky to have a pattern for setting up the body mounts on the new frame.

You should be able to get some serious rubber under it now. You may need to tub the rear. Stock S10 rear is good up to around 400HP.

Not taking anything too seriously.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:44 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallfoot View Post
What tranny and motor did you get in the s10?
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallfoot View Post
If you got a 4.3 motor the tranny could probably work unless it was something you just didn't want. 4.3 same as sbc bolt pattern.
Thanks smallfoot.
First S-10 lesson learned. It is supposed to be a 4.3. Claimed to run but missing the radiator and the altenator.
I wast't really concerned in regards to the motor. Just the condition of the frame. But if the Trans will work with a SBC V8. So much the better.
I'm going to try to get out to it tomorrow for a close up look see.
This was another great FB market place find. He sent about 2 dozen pics of the frame and although surface rust. no rot.
For $300 delivered(in 18 degree weather) i think I will be fine.
Of course I will also use the MC brake pedal and parts of the column. I think it has buckets in it so I may be able to peddle those and a few other things to get some money back.
Hopefully some up close pics tomorrow.
Torchie
Old 01-22-2021, 10:51 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
The kits are for putting a V8 in an S10. Odds are against needing to move the engine in that direction. On my 39, I centered the front fenders, and added the cab, more or less. Then you can sort out where you need to stick the engine. You should have more working room than the S10 engine bay has. I used stock motor mounts with slight modifications. Knowing what I know now, I might have done it a bit differently.

The rear axle can be adjusted with an adapter plate, with a pin on it, that hooks over the stock spring pin, and relocates the axle. These are available for centering the axle on an S10. I am sure you can make one to your specs. You will most likely be softening up the rear springs anyway.

You are lucky to have a pattern for setting up the body mounts on the new frame.

You should be able to get some serious rubber under it now. You may need to tub the rear. Stock S10 rear is good up to around 400HP.
Thanks Skip.
I have heard of the relocating plates for the rear axle. I will be putting a SBC in it. I would have liked all MOPAR but at this point just to get the body down on a running frame would be huge.
I'm sure there will be a need for some ride height adjustment.
Not looking to fill the back wells with tires in fact I'm leaning towards running the stock Dodge steel wheels (As I now have 9 of them) with some period correct wide whites and the 50 Olds wheel covers I have. I will require adapters to go from the GM bolt pattern to the Dodge.
Torchie
Old 01-23-2021, 06:34 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Great score Torchie, one less thing to worry about.

Don't give up, it's far too much fun once you can drive it.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:41 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Cold as my heart outside again today but i got out to the donor S-10 with no Torchie's being hurt in the shooting of these pics.
4.3 V6 as told. So it should have the 4L60E trans.
Missing the altenator. radiator and distributor. As told.
Couldn't get my fat hands down in to see if I could turn it over.
Checked for things I could strip off it to resell. Looks like there will be some stuff.
So after spending the morning researching I'm considering just using this V6 in the Dodge. If I get it running.
My reasons.
Cost effective.
Durable engines.
Less work.Thank you very much.
And it would make it different ,yet again ,from the many customs being built out there.
I love a throaty V8 as much as the next person but if I hope to get this thing even rolling in my life time things have to go easier and quicker.
And based on what I've read I can do some fairly reasonable add ons to wake this engine up a bit.
As always. All thoughts and opinions are encouraged. I've already learned a lot this morning which is what helps me to keep the brain cells from decaying.
Torchie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (51.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 2-1.jpg (52.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 2-4.jpg (72.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 2-5.jpg (44.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 2-6.jpg (72.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-23-2021, 01:49 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Lookin' good.

Not taking anything too seriously.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:56 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I've still got some 4.3 engine parts around here Torchie, think I have a distributor or two, but not sure what model, 88ish maybe. When it gets warm enough to play with it, I can look and see what I have and if you can use it, I can send it your way., for the shipping costs. I know I'll never use it.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:37 PM
Still crazy after all these years!

I drove a S-10 with a 4.3 for years and liked everything about it. It towed my dragster and the Crosley with ease. It will be fine in a custom cruiser.