CNC plasma cutting

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornfield customs

since i have been gone for what seems like forever, one of my new ventures is in CNC plasma cutting. i bought this set up mainly to cut all my own parts. but i also cut parts for others on the cheap. there is no design fee, set up fee, or minimum. i dont charge by the inch or the pierce. all i do i charge 3x the material cost per inch squared. that usually puts a little cash in my pocket and pays to run the machine and the consumables. i also offer a 10% off deal to all board members on all custom and stock carried items. i will post up some of the parts i make for me, and some of customer work. if there is anything you see you like hit me up, or if you need custom parts. on a side note, some parts i post i wont sell due to them being for a specific job or shop that wishes to keep their parts off the general market. if you want to get a hold of me the best way is by phone either text or call since i am usually pretty busy and might not see messages right away. i also usually have a 48 hour turn around on most parts

here are some parts

our U- bend and weld flat front x member kit

action shock top or bottom of frame mount

rear buggy spring gusset/ dress up mount

custom order SBC header flanges

side of frame action shock mount

custom ordered ladder bar and floater kit, and seat risers

hemi motor mount kit

here is the cut quality on .500 mild steel. no clean up just as it came off the table

also cut wall art and or trophy blanks

SBC deluxe front mount kit

and here is what the mount looks like on the motor. this was taken during design and prototype phase so it was not finished

SBC round port header flanges

wish bone gussets

SBC square port header flanges

everything is designed in autocad

deluxe spring clamp kit

bolt in wish bone frame bungs

chassis research style rear end saddles, used in my K88 clone FED

more to come later as i dig through pics

round tube tabs, available in any diameter tube and length from cl of tube to cl of bolt hole.

standard sizes we keep in stock are 1.5 and 1.75 tube dia. and 2,3,4 in length

frame loops for tow straps or oh sh*t handles

roll bar mounting plates

SBC engine side mounts

Nice job. parts look good[cl

A long time ago (60"s) we built a tracer to cut out hot rod and chopper parts. we used a template and a cutting torch on a arm to trace the part. then we got fancy and hooked a Cadillac windshield wiper motor as a power source on the templet end of the arm. the motor was DC so we could adjust the speed. Made a lot of parts while drinking beer.....
that was before the steel came from China, once it started coming from China it was full of cold shuns and caused the torch to blow back screwing up the cut....

Saves a lot of time, hey?

I bought a Torchmate table about 4 years ago. After about 2 hours use I couldn't imagine not having it again...

I've been unsing AutoCAD for 50 hours a week for 15 years or so, let me know if you need a hand getting anything drawn. Looks like you've got it all well under control though. :D

You and Willowbilly are bad for me. Trying to finish 2 projects and you get me thinking about a third. [S[;)[dr

Just curious how you control "flame walk". I'm getting an angled cut even on 1/4" that is pretty severe. It should cut straight with an 80a tip. Been experimenting with speed etc. Nice parts too!

Just curious how you control "flame walk". I'm getting an angled cut even on 1/4" that is pretty severe. It should cut straight with an 80a tip. Been experimenting with speed etc. Nice parts too!

What plasma cutter are you using?

I use a Hypertherm 1250, with a Duramax torch on it. It is an 80 amp cutter.

i run the machine at the lowest amperage i can for material thickness, cut down on the cut distance a little and slow the cut speed down by 5% over rated cut speed. this leaves me with awesome cuts and very little to no dross on the back

What plasma cutter are you using?

I use a Hypertherm 1250, with a Duramax torch on it. It is an 80 amp cutter.

i am running the victor A60 which will also run 80 amps. but usually cut at 45 amps up to .375 plate steel

here is a video of me cutting some parts from a while ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iLWJG4A0dQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VoXmgA5JgU&list=UULwdMk-UfDzF2kWR16KL7vg

Mine works different than yours, the slower I cut mine the more dross I get. I have an 80 amp machine and cut 3/8 from 55-75 Inches per minute, 3/16 gets cut at 155 IPM. Going down to 14 ga I still use 80 amps, but it cuts at 450 IMP.

We used to use a 40 amp machine and it would cut 3/8 but only at 15 IMP and the dross was terrible. Lots of clean up.

That's some good info from both of you guys. I was tinkering on the web the other night and realized I was cutting way to slow (70 ipm for 1/8" mild steel) for my Cutmaster 101. Should be like 115 min[S

wierd that different machines give different results set up different. must be difference on machine manufactures. this is 3/8 mild steel as they came off the table, the dross falls off as it cuts so very little clean up

Yea thats what my stuff looks like, no clean up on the top hardly. Hit the bottom with a flap wheel and your good to go.

I have a 4' x 4'. Plenty big enough for hot rod work, unless you want to do a complete side rail. You have to stop and think how heavy a pc of steel plate is. A 4' x 8' plate 3/8" think is righ at 500 lbs. Thats what we have to buy to start with and use a lift truck to move it.

Mine is a 4X8 table Torchmate 2. I only have a water bed under the first 4' and that is what I use the most.

Great info on here and a huge thanks to Cornfield and RPM. You guys helped me solve an issue I've had with angled cuts the thicker I go. I was mistakenly trying to slow the cut speed to fix the flame walk but today I cranked it up to 80 IPM (was at 28 IPM) on 1/4" plate and walla! Nice clean dross free cut with only 2-3* of taper! Specs call for 115 IPM on 1/4" but I was a little sketched out at tripling my speed but now I will keep increasing it to a happy medium. Thanks Fellas![cl

Attachments

• 1022141409a.jpg
    1022141409a.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 5
Mine is a 4X8 table Torchmate 2. I only have a water bed under the first 4' and that is what I use the most.

Great info on here and a huge thanks to Cornfield and RPM. You guys helped me solve an issue I've had with angled cuts the thicker I go. I was mistakenly trying to slow the cut speed to fix the flame walk but today I cranked it up to 80 IPM (was at 28 IPM) on 1/4" plate and walla! Nice clean dross free cut with only 2-3* of taper! Specs call for 115 IPM on 1/4" but I was a little sketched out at tripling my speed but now I will keep increasing it to a happy medium. Thanks Fellas![cl

I think you have an 80 amp machine as do I. I cut 1/4" at 110-120 IPM. The factory rep from Hypertherm told me to keep increasing the speed, in 5 IPM increments till you get what you want. You will get the best cut right before it goes too fast to cut.

I do. The Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101 is an 80A unit. Looks like my 10ga cut speed will be moved up a bunch to...[;)

Latest posts

Back