Truck is totaled

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E$rnie Pintor III

So here's the story.....
I was doing about 50 in the slow lane;
I front of me to my left (diagonal ) was a semi.
Some jack ass who was driving way to fast swerving through traffic hits me . I loose control and go under the back of the semi.
I'm great full I was not hurt , and to tell you the truth I'm kinda excited( for the new build). But now I need to deal with insurance to find a value.... How do I come up with a value? Are they gonna rare me apart because its a rat rod? Roofs been chopped, doors open backward. Frame has been cut(zed in front and back) not original motor and trans. No front fenders.
But that's how I wanted it. So I wonder how they come up with a price? There's a book, nada guide that gives prices... Do they go by that? If so I'm gonna get hooked up! Any body know any thing about this? Thanks

I suggest that the insurance is responsible for the total cost of restoring your car regardless of the level of damage. So I would start by getting written quotes on full restoration works

thats going to depend on what kind of insurance you had ,,, hot rod ? classic?? We have a (Hot rod ) or classic insurance you put on your stuff here you just tell them how much it will cost to replace it , and I guess you will get the money that you valued it at .. if its totaled

I took out liability on my 31 chevy when I brought it home it was $11 a month ,, they had no such thing as full coverage or classic insurance then , but they do now

let us know if they treat you right ,,, IDK maybe they wont treat it as the value of just and old truck .. I would get estimates any way ,,, good luck .I do believe here they dont care what you did to it they just value it as the original truck value ... Thats why we have the classic insurance here to get the value up on the classics

Last edited:
My nephew had a early 70s model jeep .. he fixed it up with bars nice paint lift kit , big engine about $3000 in tires and rims .. well a man passed him as he was turning left and totaled the jeep ,, The other mans fault , said he couldnt stop so he tried to go around ,, anyway their insurance tried to pay him $1500 for the jeep...... said thats all that model was worth, didnt matter how much he done to it ..... but he got screwed ... I dont know if you have to take what they offer and can fight for more or not

I hope you have a legitimate title tied to that vehicle. If the insurance company finds anything that doesn't look right they'll say you committed fraud and your truck had no business on the road.

Blue

Are they gonna rare me apart because its a rat rod?

Rat rod should never enter the conversation... I believe that was a "custom" truck... correct?!? Don't let them tell you that you need to file on your ins first either... if it's the other persons fault their ins is responsible! Was he ticketed?! I also suggest you consult an attorney asap! What ins co does the guy have? Pictures?!?

BoB

His ins

Didn't get any info. Cop was a jerk and said I'll have to wait for the report. The guy was in a wheel chair so cop catered to him. I was the bad guy even tough he caused the wreck. Now I have to wait 2 weeks for the report.

Didn't get any info. Cop was a jerk and said I'll have to wait for the report. The guy was in a wheel chair so cop catered to him. I was the bad guy even tough he caused the wreck. Now I have to wait 2 weeks for the report.

Always get the other drivers info and any witnesses that may have stopped. You never know how it's going to play out. You need to protect yourself.

Get estimates to repair your "custom truck" and start looking for comparable "custom trucks" that are for sale so you have proof of what is out there for sale to help determine value.

If you can ptove that it is his fault, he has the responsibility to put your custom truck back just like it was the split second before it was wrecked. If he has insurance they will pay.

Guy I used to work with had a nice, but not pristine 55 chevy. Young girl pulled out in front of him, ran a stop sign and he T Boned her. Her insurance company says oh its totaled and we will pay you like $1000 since it is so old. He got an attorny and they just threatend to sue. He got like $12,000, the price from a restoration shop, for parts labor and repaint the whole car.

yessireee do like rpm says go ahead and get an lawyer lined up so they will do right to start with......

Yes! And whatever you do, DO NOT accept any offers their insurance makes. As soon as you accept an offer, that will be all she wrote and you'll never get another penny out of them.

Latest posts

Back