Buick finned drums???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CORPO

Buildin' it his way, one piece at a time...
I went back to that yard in east troy this weekend, noticed a pair of finned aluminum drums... I know they have value, wondering how much and if you guys think its worth the headache of trying to get them off... as you can see they are partially in the dirt... so who knows the condition.. But i think you can re sleeve them???

Rest of the photos are here http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32048

The last set I pulled were a bear. both had run a lip in and the adjusters were froze. I did end up selling them to a guy for garage wall art because they were too far run out to save. I haven't heard of getting them re-sleeved.

Most of the ones I've seen have multiple broken fins. Although they're cool looking, they're still drum brakes and I always use discs! :D

Beercan

Relining them just isn't possible. Dissimilar metal corrosion makes them impossible to separate without destroying them. Sadly those have returned to the earth. Wall hangers at best...

someone on the hamb slipped them over old ford drums for the look with just a little bit of brake lathe work to make them fit. ended up looking pretty good.

I'd still dig them out and see what they look like. Buick drums are getting harder to find, especially the 90 fin earlier ones, so it is worth a little time you would invest.

As stated, they can not be relined, but can be sandblasted and turned. As for value, a good set brings $300 to $400 from my experience.

Don

Thanks guys for all the input ... I'm heading back there next weekend there are a few things I want to get that are higher on the list but we will see if I can grab them... The worst part will be trying to get a jack back there to lift the car

Latest posts

Back