48 Ford PU on C10 Chevy chassis :

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonMan

This project defines low budget. This is my 14 yr old son`s.

He paid $100 (lawn mowing money) for the cab / doors / front end.

I had an `85 Chevy short bed truck that I was parting out. I donated the chassis towards this project.

He sold the unwanted Ford fuel tank on Ebay for $100.

So far, total expenditures : $ 0 :)

We plan on running a 267 Chevy ( gag ... ) out of a 1980 Monte Carlo. Hey -- it runs great and it was FREE.

The plan is to set it down in the weeds and we might get adventurous and chop the top .... :confused:

These are all the pics I`ve got for now. I`ll post more in a few days.

Attachments

• DSCN0889.JPG
    DSCN0889.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN0888.JPG
    DSCN0888.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 99
Now that's a low budget project. 0 dollars invested so far. It's great for the kid too. That will look good lowered and maybe chopped like you said.

I think I`m raising this boy right ----

Last week I offered him my `69 truck, (seen in other thread) that`s only a few weeks away from completion, straight up trade for the `48.

He declined and said the Ford was cooler and besides that he wanted to drive a truck that HE built. Good boy.

Looks like a good score for "free"....did you have to move the wheel base around ? if not , I don`t think you can get it much better than that , good job

I enjuyed reading this one.
Like I said in the other thread, If there is anything I can do to help, let me know. I have free long distance and will be glad to call and talk with you guys if need be...

Good luck with the project.

You are doing one helova job raising a 14 year old that insists on driving something that he built......Hats off to you brother.....

did you have to move the wheel base around ? if not , I don`t think you can get it much better than that , good job

We have not altered the wheelbase. It`s not quite there though. If you look closely at the pic, you`ll see that the front wheel is too far forward in the wheel opening. The red wheel is just free standing to get an idea of where the front wheel should sit. Wheelbase is about 4" too long. We`ll move the cab forward and whack the frame behind the cab.
It is quite close though. :)

Smart kid!!!

I think I`m raising this boy right ----

Last week I offered him my `69 truck, (seen in other thread) that`s only a few weeks away from completion, straight up trade for the `48.

He declined and said the Ford was cooler and besides that he wanted to drive a truck that HE built. Good boy.

Mr Man,
That's a sharp kid... definitely think he made the rat choice! I worked on several truck projects with my Dad & I love the time we spent together doin' that stuff... plus I learned how it was done & one of my Dad's fav thing to do was engine swaps... & we did plenty! Great father/son project... please keep us updated!

BoB

Photo update :

We moved the cab forward to align the front wheels in the fender opening. Now there is a 5" gap between the cab / bed. We`ll need to wack out a section to compensate.
This thing is sitting sky high. I may channel the body over the frame, then of course, we`ll lower the suspension too.

Here`s a few more recent pics of this project :

Attachments

• DSCN1114.JPG
    DSCN1114.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCN1118.JPG
    DSCN1118.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 48
Thumbs up

Don Man - that's a great project, especially for your son. My daughter just turned 9 years old, and sometimes has helped/ watched me work on my project - she has watched me weld, and really enjoyed that! (we have several welding masks). Gotta keep the kids busy, and what better way!

Carry on!

440shorty

When my son was younger, around 8-9, he really liked watching me weld. I gave him my old welding hood when I bought a new one. I gave him a few welding lessons, but he hasn`t quite reached that good level just yet. I try to teach him all the skills that I have, so that when he reaches adulthood he can find a decent job or work on his own projects without help. That`s how my dad taught me.

Latest posts

Back