More pics of the 50 Chrysler

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotrodron

Drives the Batmobile... er... Ratmobile!
Here are a couple more pics of the latest project. This is that good old Spitfire Flat 6. Causing me headaches. I'm about ready to toss a small block chevy in there and rip that motor apart over the winter. You can see where I started putting some of the trim back on in the last pic. Just got the trim on the hood and at the base of the windows on the doors.

z12345.jpg

z1234.jpg

z123456.jpg

z1234567.jpg

not totally sure Don. I'm thinking it is a carb. issue, but I don't want to rebuild the carb because I'm planning on switching to a dual singles manifold soon. it just loads up real bad and chokes itself out. has no power at all. seemed to be running good until I cleaned the carb...? I must have messed something up LOL. I think I need to just pull the engine and break it down and rebuild it. I'd like to get inside it and take a look anyway. Also I'm finding some pretty cool old parts for the motor and I'd like to clean it up and paint it before I install them

Did you check the choke,Make sure its not slammed shut.Also sounds like a float is stuck fllooding you over.I would just pull it and take it apart.There isnt much to those.

Yeah I think you're probably right about the float. Its definately not the choke, but I have all winter to figure it out. It will be snowing here very soon in Ohio and with the amount of salt we throw on the roads, I don't think she'll see much winter driving.

It sounds carburetor related to me.
I guess if it were mine I'd try to pull the carburetor and rebuild it over the winter. Then when you're finished if the engine still didn't run right I'd look deeper into there being a potential problem with the mechanicals of the engine. I'd guess a faulty carburetor has condemned more than a few perfectly fine engines.
No sense ripping the whole engine apart yet- I'd see how the carburetor rebuild effects things. Then you can use all that engine overhaul money for something else fun on the car.

If you switch to a dual carburetor manifold wouldn't you be running two of the same carburetor you currently have?

I have a 50 Dodge with the original inline 6. Last fall I bought an Offenhauser dual carburetor intake manifold. The intake is designed to run two of the original style Carter one barrel carburetors. I'd planned on using the carburetor currently on the stock intake and picking up a second one to rebuild and use for the dual carb. intake.

Here's my advice on the subject...
Shop Ebay. When I first got the intake I went up to a GIANT old car salvage yard here in MN called French Lake Auto Parts. I paid $50 for a "core" carburetor because I wanted it NOW.
Later I shopped around on ebay and ended up buying several rebuildable cores 3 of which I ended up getting with shipping for around $10 each. Wish I would have been a little more patient...

The Carter Ball and Ball carburetors are pretty straight forward and simple to rebuild. The rebuild kit I purchased (mine came from Napa) even had an instruction sheet with a fully "exploded" view of the carburetor.

Initially I was a little intimidated by all of the small parts and necessity of them all going back together in exactly the right way. The key is to start with a clean work area and take your time. Lay everything out in a methodical manner, read your instructions and take your time.
It's not a bad job at all.

Hat

Neat car that not a lot of people are working with. I like it. I have a friend who is a lobbyist for MN Street Rod Association who has one of those. Painted green and named "GUMBY". With these great old classic cruisers, when you're lucky enough to still be running the original (or at least the "correct") motor, it's worth the effort to keep it that way. Good luck!:cool:

Thanks for the kind words JJJ.

Alien, thats too funny you just wrote that. I just ordered 2 rebuild kits from NAPA earlier today - one for the carb on my car and one for one I just bought from a friend. Can't wait to get into them and see if I can't get her back on the road one last time before winter.

Cool.
The only thing I found the kit lacking was a "float gauge" to measure the float 'drop.' I ended up making my own and I think it worked pretty well. I say that but haven't actually tried them out yet. They're both sitting down in the basement wrapped with cellophane over the top to keep out debris.

Good luck with the carbs- "Pkryan" and I will be doing the one off his 41 Plymouth over the winter.
Napa's going to start to wonder about the sudden popularity of these carb. kits soon!:D

Hat

Maybe then they'll just keep them in stock and I won't have to wait to get it. No big deal, just 2 days, but when I decide to do something, I like to do it NOW. Two days from now I may be in the middle of something else and those rebuild kits will sit there collecting dust.

Too bad your car didn't come filled with a bunch of old parts like mine did, including to carb rebuild kits. Of which i am planning on trying out today.

Actually, it did come filled with a bunch of old parts - just no rebuild kits. Tons of old hubcaps and chrome trim pieces, couple of old exhaust manifolds, glove box door for an old chevy truck, tons of stuff

Latest posts

Back