1936 ihc

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyster36

Bought this not to long ago. 1936 IHC sitting on a JUNK frame. I built a new frame using 2x4 tubing, kicked up 12"'s in the back. Running 38 bones with a model a axle up front. Out back is a 84 Monte Carlo rear suspension set up. 350 engine with 700 r4 trans. I'm using a mid 60's Mopar steering box for cowl steering. In the process of mocking it up know.
36IHRatRod012.jpg

36IHRatRod001-1.jpg

Well i got out in the garage today for a couple of hours. I got the steering box in it's location. Just need to add a couple more support braces, but i'm not going to be able to do that till the floor is in. Moving kind of slow this weekend. I had a "you know what" done Friday am. Yep, no more kids. I have 2 boys. One is 4 1/2, the other 11 weeks. Getting to old to worry about another one now. LOL Man i'm sore. LOL

Got a little bit done this weekend. Got most of the floor bracing in. And i also have the steering box mocked up. My buddy is machining me some pieces for the pitman arm/shaft.
36IHRatRod006-1.jpg

Have a little more bracing i want to do for the box mounts.
36IHRatRod005-2.jpg

Box is just hanging by a bolt.
36IHRatRod004.jpg

Binder

Love your IHC! Gonna make a good lookin truck. And you're making good progress....fast, too.

I would say you're nuts to chop it but that would be too funny! (ya know....your surgery.)

This chop i really like. I think it was 3 1/2 "s. He leaned the windshield post back to keep from splicing the roof. The seam in the rear is easy to hide the way the cab is made.
P1010616.jpg

Not much going on. Got my front spring and attempting to put it in this am. Had a buddy stop by that builds chassis cars for a living and he's going to build my floor pans and tunnel for the cost of sheet metal and 12 pack + a steak dinner. Got a get a few other things done so it can get it to his shop by next weekend. That's it for now.

Well i got my steering pieces finished up today. I think it turned out about how i wanted it. I'm using a Mopar box. I just cut and turned down the old pitman arm and used the splines. Turned a piece of tubing down and bored it for the splined bushing and welded it in the tube. Then made a collar and welded it to the tube leaving the center open to run the nut and washer on the pitman arm. Made a new arm that bolts to the collar and recessed the bolts a little. I followed another builders tips off of the Hamb. I like it, and it looks mechanical.
36IHRatRod011.jpg

36IHRatRod013.jpg

36IHRatRod012-1.jpg

Well it seems like i'm piddling on this pile and nothings getting done, till now. Took it out to a friends shop and got the floor pans and trans tunnel made. I had square loops in it at first, but we hacked off the tops and bent some tubing so the tunel would be round. I think it turned out great. Probably had about 15 hours in total. His shop is there to make money, but he only charged me $150. That's about as cheap as it gets i believe. I bout the metal. Also fabricated up some different spring hangers for the bones. I've seen these around. Went to my machinist and we spit these out in about an hour. It brought the front down where i want it. By the time i add the rest of the junk to the truck, it'll be perfect.

36IHRatRod005-3.jpg

36IHRatRod001-2.jpg

36IHRatRod002-2.jpg

Just need to weld them up. Mock up went together smoother this way.
36IHRatRod003-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back