Klink's 1930 Chevy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a lot of work in those areas and it does take time to make it right.
Looks great !!!

I have a lot more time in it than I thought I would. Tonight I finally welded them into place. There's still a lot to do like make the door jambs, but if needed I could pick the body up as one piece. It's still fairly fragile though... now I'll weld in a few temporary braces so I can take most of the other bracing out.

Attachments

• CIMG7046.jpg
    CIMG7046.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 69
  • CIMG7047.jpg
    CIMG7047.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 65
  • CIMG7048.jpg
    CIMG7048.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 63
  • CIMG7049.jpg
    CIMG7049.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 63
  • CIMG7050.jpg
    CIMG7050.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 64
That looks like a tough piece to make indeed, following the curvature of the frame and body, it looks like you have a really nice fitment to it though!

The first one went pretty quick, the second one kept "moving" when I welded it. A few of the joints took a few tries. Hopefully the pieces that go around the wheel wells will go a little smoother...

Some new members of the family.

Got some new tools for the shop, a 10" throatless shear and 36" straight brake, both from Woodward Fab. Woodward Fab is only a few miles from my house so I picked them up. Tomorrow a Baileigh shrinker stretcher is supposed to show up. I originally ordered a brake from Brut, but it ended up being back ordered. It's American made, which was part of it's appeal, but they said they won't have any until the end of summer.

Attachments

• CIMG7052.jpg
    CIMG7052.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 48
  • CIMG7053.jpg
    CIMG7053.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 46
Very nice....woodward seems to have good stuff...

Got some new tools for the shop, a 10" throatless shear and 36" straight brake, both from Woodward Fab. Woodward Fab is only a few miles from my house so I picked them up. Tomorrow a Baileigh shrinker stretcher is supposed to show up. I originally ordered a brake from Brut, but it ended up being back ordered. It's American made, which was part of it's appeal, but they said they won't have any until the end of summer.

have a few pieces from Woodward but have been thinking about the shear as well.....Cool stuff....

Very jealous of the nice equipment you purchased! Looks like nice stuff!

The shear works really well, I squared off some 14 gauge pieces just to test it out, cuts like butter. I tested the brake on some 20 gauge and it worked really well too... they claim it will bend 16 gauge. According to FedEx, the shrinker stretcher is on it's way to my office, I should see it today [cl

I rode the motorcycle to work today so my sweet daughter drove to my office and picked up the box with the shrinker stretcher in it. It's been assembled and tested... it works really well. I've never used one before but it seems fairly intuitive. The test piece is 20 gauge; I was really surprised by how quickly the steel responds to the tool. I'm pretty excited about the tools I just got… this is just what I need to build the inside of the body.

The valve cover is what my wife got me for my birthday a few weeks back. I tried to get one of those a few months ago and the bidding was crazy, she says she got it for half of what I was willing (foolish moment) to pay a few months back.

Attachments

• CIMG7054.jpg
    CIMG7054.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 59
  • CIMG7055.jpg
    CIMG7055.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 64
  • CIMG7056.jpg
    CIMG7056.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 61
Sweet!!!!!!

Nice work Klink love the new tools and looks like your moving right along getting the hang of that stretcher. I look forward to seeing this one a roller soon.

klink this car is gonna be awsome!!! i wanna see this thing a roller you have been instrumental for where the bug has gotten so far with your ideas. i am wrapping up the rear deck lid structure and have sliced the dash out now LOL !!! no crap its cut out the i Vd the dash getting ready tostart the fab up of the dash. i got the steering column mount tacked in position. you keep up the good work and i want a set of those seats from the klink.

No progress in a while. I have been extremely busy at work and now it looks like we'll be moving. My wife wants to get closer to her office so the deal is I get to build a bigger shop. With a little luck I'll get out to the shop a little over Christmas break. I turned down a bunch of jobs to finally have 2 weeks off.

Getting back on track

Back in March we moved to get my wife closer to work. The house we bought has a 3 car garage but it isn't enough space for all the shop equipment, two project cars and my wife's car. Since I had a separate shop at the previous house I couldn't give that up. We tried finding a place with an additional building but it just didn't work out that way. I started working with a builder back in July; we are finally getting started. Yesterday they broke ground along with the cable so I'm posting this from a smart phone, what a pain in the ..... The lumber was delivered today but no trusses???! They claim they'll be here tomorrow to bore the holes and pre build a few things. I took a few pictures but can't get them to upload. I haven't touched my 30 since December except to move it. My wife really wants her spot in the garage, so I'm hoping to have it powered and heated by the end of November.

This is what I came home too today...

I was pretty excited on Saturday when the crew showed up and drilled the post holes and built the headers. But today has me feeling pretty good. All my buddies are telling me it's already to small (they always are eventually) and my wife is threatening bodily harm to each and everyone of them. My last shop was 16X24 with 8 foot walls; this is 28X36 with 10 foot walls. This is more than 2.5 times bigger so I should be in pretty good shape.:D

Attachments

• 3_framing.jpg
    3_framing.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 4_framing.jpg
    4_framing.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 5_framing.jpg
    5_framing.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 6_framing.jpg
    6_framing.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 43
In short order thats gonna look like a shop. Are you using steel for covering?

It will be covered with steel. It's a funny thing... at the last house when I built my shop (which I did myself, 20 years ago) my wife didn't seem to care about it as long as it didn't look like a barn. So I built a pole barn with a shingled roof and vinyl siding. This time I was going to build a garage figuring if it was going to look like one it might as well be one. THEN my wife informs me she wants it to look like a barn. Not so much like a random pole barn but a barn... a red barn with a cupola. So that's what we're building.

Latest posts

Back