The greatest (rod) story ever told

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Rolls Royce is going to look really cool when you get done slamming it and painting it flat black. :D :D Wow, maybe you can get adopted by this guy. What is he going to do with all these?

Don

He is a collector. He has mostly what I call "parade" cars.

They look good as long as you are 20 feet away, and they are moving.
Some were really nice though.

He wanted me to build a 36 chev pu. but his idea of a hot rod and my idea of a hot rod are really two different things. I think it would be a great gig for someone, but not me. It was worth the trip, found a bunch of old tin. Half the fun is the hunt.

I just finished reading alot of this thread of the tin.While laughing my A** off with the Mr Serling and the Leno stuff.I have to say you are one lucky guy to have run into Mr serling.That was one amazing story and I have a real funny kind of feeling that we havent heard the ending yet.Good luck with your finds and keep us all posted with the pics.

more pictures from JL's place and the project truck he wants me to work on.

Attachments

• lenos place.jpg
    lenos place.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 301
  • lenos2.jpg
    lenos2.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 278
  • lenos project.jpg
    lenos project.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 419
A little more today. (if you are reading this thread for the first time, maybe you should go back and start at the front, don't you hate stories that have been continued, and you catch the "part two" version.)

I was back at Mr. Serlings place today and picked up a 32 Chevy sedan. It is real rough, but has some great patch panels on it. I also picked up a mercury capri donor car, with Mustang II front, 2.3 L 4cyl, and small rear axle.

We got a chance to talk alot today. I really think he hates to see the old cars get crushed, so he wants to save as much as he can. And on a sad note Charlie is in the VA hospital having some major problems. Sure hope he makes it back.

On a brighter note, I am looking at an old Studi truck with all the glass still in, that a neighbor of Mr. Serlings has. No dents. sitting behind a barn for the last 30 plus years. I forgot to take my camera, but there is a realy cool old Caddy with a cab over camper built into the back sitting over there. I promise I will get pictures of that.

Day late

Like i said Im usually a day late and a doller short .Just found this amazing story . What happened it just stops what happened to Charlie give us the rest of the story please.LFE

No it didn't stop, I am down for 6 months with a back injury. Mr. Serling stopped in to see me the other day, he says we are going to be busy when I get back on my feet. So this story is on hold for a while, just like the rest of my life. (bitter,? me? no just frustrated,and all this sitting around is driving me crazier)

Wouldn't the kicker be, Bonehead gets better, goes back to an abandoned shack. Standing there scratching his head, the local constable shows up. Bonehead asks what happened to Mr Serling. Constable says, "Son, you all been touch by the sun or sumptin'. Old Mr Serling been gone these last 20 years or so..............Sure loved them cars though." :eek:

the ditch

Here some pictures of the ditch it runs quite aways and still has a lot of car parts in it.

Attachments

• ditch1.jpg
    ditch1.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 340
  • ditch2.jpg
    ditch2.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 335
  • ditch3.jpg
    ditch3.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 279
  • ditch4.jpg
    ditch4.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 269
  • ditch5.jpg
    ditch5.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 302
Thanks for the read.

This truly is the greatest rod story ever told... I am so jelous!

This site is really getting under my skin... and you story has not helped :D

I even caught myself scanning ebay for Hudsons, Buicks, Plymouths etc... the wife would kill me :eek: but it could be worth it :D

Better go buy a lottery ticket! Then a warehouse like Mr JL in the story :)

Hope you get well soon.

Hey Bonehead, your living the dream :) as everyone has said... mad story! I'm not going to sleep too well tonight :rolleyes:

Take care of your back man, you only get one. I hope you feel better soon. although, in this time when your unable to lift/push/strain etc... you can still hold a camera, get into it boy, take more photos! every car on every angle :)

Truly amazing stuff, and there is no way I would believe this without pics :)

Wow-I finished my popcorn and three soda's because I couldn't leave my computer....I had to get to the end of the story......only to find out the next chapter won't be finished for six months! I think we are all in disbelief at what a great life experience you are having with these guys and the cars. What a great story. We are all wishing you and your back the best.

Bonehead, hope your back is feeling better real soon. This story is better than the 63vette found in the old horse barn covered with a tarp that has been going around for 20 years or more. Cant wait for more of the story. :)

While this thread is up top, I wanted to tell you that Charlie is out of the hospital for now, but is not able to work on his projects, and is really not doing that well. I will try to post pictures of his projects here if I can find them.

Latest posts

Back