Peterbilt 359

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great truck build

Im also a big rat builder . Im working on 75 westernstar right now . And i just bought a 64 pete that im building for my son

Attachments

• SAWTHERAT2 013.jpg
    SAWTHERAT2 013.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 140
Sawtherat, I've checked out your pictures. Looks good with a hood on it. What are your plans for behind the cab? I was going to add a box, but am sort of rethinking it. When I went to buy this one I accidentally came home with two...here is a picture of the other one. It's a 68. I thought I better do the 84 first just in case I didn't like the way it came out. The 68 is almost too nice to cut up...

Attachments

• Peterbilt 015.jpg
    Peterbilt 015.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 79
My truck bed

A friend of mine gave me a big bandsaw (gangsaw) out of a old sawmill that was torn down here in s. Oregon . The sides are gonna be angled about 30 deg .

Attachments

• SAWTHERAT2 044.jpg
    SAWTHERAT2 044.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 62
Very cool. Will that be the total depth of the bed then? Or will they just cover the frame rails? I see you have airbags in the rear. Is the front air too? Mine is pretty rough in the back with springs...even though I took 8 leafs out!

Hey guys, been working a little on the Peterbilt. Got the clutch and brakes adjusted right, fixed a few air leaks, got all my lights on and working, and been driving it a lot. I could find more excuses to drive it if I could haul anything at all in it so I need a box. I was thinking just flat sides angled out at the top and rolled like the old style boxes. No fenders, and have the back bottom rolled towards the front to match the radius of the cab's sheetmetal. I'm going to rivet it together so it sort of matches the look of the cab also.

Anyway...I kind of got that all figured out but really can't decide on height. I used a piece of plywood to mock it up and just can't imagine it looking quite right so I was going to ask your thoughts. Other pickups I've seen look best in my opinion with the top of the box about the same height as the bottom of the windows. If I go any lower I think it will make the cab look like it needs chopped.

So if any of you have 2 cents or want to help me out by doing a photoshop I would greatly appreciate it!

Attachments

• IMG_20120517_151700.jpg
    IMG_20120517_151700.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 133
Bed about 4 to 6 inches above frame. Some tapered down side rails from cab toward rear. Split the fuel tank in half and stand each half up between rear of cab and rear wheel just under the bed. That may have been 3 cents worth but I like it just like it is too.

Thanks...hydrocarbon I really wanted side tanks like a semi but this one was too long and I can't weld aluminum. Now the next question.

Would it be better to try to match the cab color on the box or just flat black the whole thing? I really want them both the same...and am kinda leaning towards matching the cab paint and then maybe scuff up the whole thing.

Opinions on that are appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20120620_193753.jpg
    IMG_20120620_193753.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 77
This is a Rat forum but, I would like to see it the same as the cab and with some shine. Get some shined up aluminum buds on front and back. O yes, I will take some hits for that. I kind of wonder what some super singles would look like? If you stopped right now its way sweeter than anything I have or will get.

Jeez, all these builds are hard to keep up with!

I just read this one, and I agree with Mr Rocket. Paint the box to match. Great job on the box too, the exposed fasteners are perfect!

Latest posts

Back