Peterbilt 359

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like everything I build is on the small side. But I really like your BIG truck. Great job on the box.

THAT'S JUST CRAZY!!!!:eek:

Seriously though, I LOVE it!!!:eek:

I maintain big school buses all day and couldn't even imagine building something that BIG for a toy....

Yeah, I'd paint the box to match the cab, then maybe weather it a bit. Maybe you could mess around with the portions of paint-reducer-hardener to help it flash kinda dull and old looking? Just so it would match the cab.

I think Super Singles would look perfect on there, too.

Thanks for sharing your pics.[P

Regards,
Shea:)

Good deal. Hearing a few opinions helped me make up my mind. Now to find out how to match that color. I'd like to take it to it's first car show this weekend...

I used carriage bolts to bolt the box together to try and match the rivets holding the cab together. Doing my best to make it look like it was supposed to be that way.

I hear the super single comment quite a bit. And I completely agree, but those wheels and tires are definately not cheap. I have a set of wheels for the front that match the back...but I can't find the hubs I need to convert it used. And new they are a little over 200 a piece.

Have you though about stripping the cab and tossing a clear over the raw metal, or just let it patina?

I totally dig your build! I like RRs that are not traditional!

Good deal. Hearing a few opinions helped me make up my mind. Now to find out how to match that color. I'd like to take it to it's first car show this weekend...

I used carriage bolts to bolt the box together to try and match the rivets holding the cab together. Doing my best to make it look like it was supposed to be that way.

I hear the super single comment quite a bit. And I completely agree, but those wheels and tires are definately not cheap. I have a set of wheels for the front that match the back...but I can't find the hubs I need to convert it used. And new they are a little over 200 a piece.

I don't have much money but, If you will give me the truck, I will buy the rest of the stuff to finish it. LOL. I'd even drive it all the way back to Tennessee! I could ride my Motor Cycle out then load it in the back and head this way. It's only about a 1040 miles.

You might try checking with some local school bus companies, or even trucking companies... I know our buses go "bye-bye" when they hit 10-12 years old...

Not sure if they'd be compatible, you'd have to do some cross referencing for compatibility of bearings, seals, etc. Can't hurt to try...;)

Either way, that's one VERY cool truck! Thanks again for sharing your build and pics with us![;)[P

Regards,
Shea:)

Hydrocarbon that sounds like a great plan but the stupid box only has like 5 feet behind the cab. No room for a motorcycle. Bummer. Haha

Got the box painted and back on and put to work today. I used it to move a pallet for work and got some funny looks backed up to the loading dock.

The paint came out a little darker but I'm OK with it. Just need to beat it up a little to match the cab now.

Attachments

• IMG_20120622_131330.jpg
    IMG_20120622_131330.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 116
Finally got around to putting matching wheels in the front. With the old wheels off I discovered the front left king pin needed some work. The downside to making a toy out of a truck is the hub seals and king pin kit was almost $400. So to save a few dollars I decided to unmount and remount the tires on my new wheels myself. That job SUCKS.

Also, thinking about driving it up to Minneapolis for the car craft summer nationals next weekend. Anyone been to that show before? It sounds like its a huge show, but I don't know how well rat rods will fit in??

Attachments

• IMG_20120713_181306.jpg
    IMG_20120713_181306.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20120713_181236.jpg
    IMG_20120713_181236.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 108
I think your truck will draw a crowd at any show. Who else is going to cruise up in a chopped up Pete? The bed looks awesome by the way, I was thinking aluminum wheels but I like the steel wheels too. Maybe paint the wheels a glossy odd ball color? I would love to see this in person one day.

I think your truck will draw a crowd at any show. Who else is going to cruise up in a chopped up Pete? The bed looks awesome by the way, I was thinking aluminum wheels but I like the steel wheels too. Maybe paint the wheels a glossy odd ball color? I would love to see this in person one day.

x2!

........pm BobW about the show. He will know and probably be there.

I like your truck! Big is the way to go! Have you ever thought of painting the wheels black and painting the wide whitewall on the tires.Here's a photoshop picture I did so you could see.

Attachments

• IMG_20120713_181306phspped.jpg
    IMG_20120713_181306phspped.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20120713_181306.jpg
    IMG_20120713_181306.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 72
That has turned out great! Glad you kept the cab color, it makes it stand out from the sea of black rats out there.

I've been bypassing this build because I saw Peterbuilt!!
Boy was that a mistake this thing is cool! I wont make
that mistake again, I hope I get to see it in person someday!!

Definitely looks better with the "new" wheels. Wish I lived closer, I would like to see this thing up close.

Wouldn't mind knowing how much it took to put this together to this point, and how long it took to do it, but if you prefer not to divulge that I would understand.

I continue with this forum just for the duallies. Nothing else like them.

Hey thanks for the comments......I just got home and am giving up for the day. First of all the air compressor was leaking so i tried to open it up to find the problem and discovered you have to remove it to get the top off. So I cleaned it the best I could and bolted it back together. Took it for a test drive and the new wheels cause the front end to wobble and the air compressor is now leaking air into the cooling system causing coolant to spray out all the time. I guess I should have just left things as they were. ugh. Anyway I started to remove the air compressor which has me stumped at this point. UGH.

RATRODFIREMAN: thanks for the idea. I haven't considered white walls, but that looks real good. Helps make it look more like an old pickup rat rod instead of a semi. And thats what I'm going for....

TRUCKSTER: if you look close you will see that I didn't spend much money. I started with a running and driving peterbilt I stole of craigslist for $2000. Other than bolts and hoses and some sheetmetal I didn't need to buy much for it. But now that I am replacing king pins and air compressors things are adding up. Having the right tools and a nice warm shop helped me get it done pretty quick...I bought it about mid December of 2011 and spent about 3 weeks of 70-80 hr weeks getting most of it done. We had an extremely slow winter at work so that explains all the free time!

nice build. I have a "larger" truck I suppose too - 67 International 1300 dually I picked up for 350$ and am currently working on!

Latest posts

Back