Ravens Roadster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bed sides

The first pic is of the 3 pieces cut for the stake pocket right after I ran them thru the sheet metal brake. the C-shaped one was bent over my leg, then compared to the radius of the cut piece. I left a 3/8" lap over the side to be different. Plans are a matching rollpan that connects to the frame much like a stock bed. I will cut thru the bedside , into the stake pocket and the C- channel ( roll pan) will bolt to the back, in the stake pockets- like the factory did. the rollpan will hang down 2", have radiused corners and blend into the stake pockets as smooth as I can make it , but still be removeable.
All for now!

my vision??? if it stops changing?? Cross between Rat and traditional ( yes, I'm old) bare metal body w/ WD-40 and scrubby finish, bare aluminum panels inside, copper finish (aged - painted to look that way)) anywhere a normal person would want chrome like- windshield, head light rings ??? But nothing shiny!!
I have tossed around using semi ellipiltical springs all around and maybe using a 283 that I have, instead of the Olds 455

the WD- finish will surely rust sooner or later ( in florida)- or I could do semi gloss black or a flat maroon???????????

skinny white wall tires w/ painted rims????

the flat maroon and whitewalls are prob. best, just to be different. Everything else that I have built has been flat black! Everything!!!

What do you think? sometimes just runnin this stuff by someone else helps the thinking process Thanks, Raven

Attachments

• bed side 023.jpg
    bed side 023.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 43
  • stake pockets 001.jpg
    stake pockets 001.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 40
  • roadster bed 002.jpg
    roadster bed 002.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 41
  • roadster bed 001.jpg
    roadster bed 001.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 41
  • roadster bed 005.jpg
    roadster bed 005.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 42
  • roadster bed 010.jpg
    roadster bed 010.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 40
  • roadster bed 017.jpg
    roadster bed 017.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 37
  • roadster bed 021.jpg
    roadster bed 021.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 35
  • roadster bed 019.jpg
    roadster bed 019.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 37
Those pieces look great, very well done on the bed!

Yea, I think a lot of people struggle with always going flat black... try something new, if it doesn't fit your vision, it can always be changed to another color!

[P[P[P

A very dark flat maroon or burgundy would be cool and still look black from a distance. Maybe brass instead of copper? You can use a brass wire wheel and a torch to do that. I wonder if that would work with copper? Clear coat the bare metal? I've wondered if tinning compound would work too - won't rust, but might dull badly though.

A very dark flat maroon or burgundy would be cool and still look black from a distance. Maybe brass instead of copper? You can use a brass wire wheel and a torch to do that. I wonder if that would work with copper? Clear coat the bare metal? I've wondered if tinning compound would work too - won't rust, but might dull badly though.

How hot do you have to get the metal before taking the brass wire wheel to it? Never thought about doin it with copper.
the dark burgundy or maroon looks like an old color, kinda period correct. Could use tan or white inside to go with it.

back cab panel

I have been makin each panel, one at a time, pluggin along. once the body is done it will start lookin like a something- Hopefully... I bought a '55 olds gauge cluster for this truck. I will build a custom dash and trim to make it work. Also looking for a 50's olds, buick, pontiac steering wheel to tie it all together -seat???? hopefully alum. bomber seats the expensive ones with holes ....

The back panel for my cab. This is my first try with the new bead roller. It was a really hard panel for the first try!! I need someone to help hold the panel next time. You will only see the top line or two when installed, So... it was a good place to pratice. I wanted it to look like a model a cab panel but also added a raised area to cut out for the drive shaft.

I have to say the beadroller worked well, I made a adjustable fence guide to make straight line easier ( after this panel )- still need to add a bottom rail to it but.. I'll get it figured out- part of the learning curve!
This has been the most fun I've had on a build yet, and the most involved. I get to make it all like I imagine. not given any bounderies to stay in . the old lady told me its not ratty enought! So... I might have to throw it in the ditch for a year , while I'm building the frame. Its hard to build this out of new metal and just let it rust. It just messes with my mind I know it would look best but... all these years we were removing all the rust on our projects.

Still thinkin about flat burgundy or some other old looking color, Also the bare metal still sounds good - ??? Still a while before I need too choose, By then the choice might already be made for me - rust never sleeps!

Attachments

• cab panel, roller 004.jpg
    cab panel, roller 004.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 48
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 43
  • cab panel, roller 003.jpg
    cab panel, roller 003.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 44
might be a little difficult to see through that plywood windshield don't ya think?? For a first try with the bead roller I would say you did an exceptional job!!!

There's a song called "The Ravens" by Tristania
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL1jLY9bPXE

kinda emo-goth but still sorta cool in an opera sort of way

These I like better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S_QhVHGKZQ&feature=related

This one creeps me out. beautiful and hideous
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4K9326eEiY&feature=related

complex http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iAH83evVmU&feature=related

Their most disturbing video from when they were transitioning from gory brutal goth to more of an opera/emo form http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eATjfAz6j98

When I first heard this son I was driving in a thunderstorm in the vicinity of a tornado in my semi
I had a really kick ass video I was doing for this one but I lost it in a microsoft system crash. In the intro I had you approaching earth from space then in a lighting storm then had some close up SOHO imagery of the sun which I turned from orange to blood then green fading to black light (black sun) as it slowed down and reversed rotation but never got to escalating the creepiness>
I'm going to rework that idea someday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0MzUiUwk1o

This song I think is their best, nothing like it by anyone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx-BlEd3wIo
Again its goth and some people don't like the dark dank stuff

Tristania
A Sequel Of Decay

Checkered by the dawn, enslaved in life enthralling
Swept up by the mortal waste of my enslaved emotion
Aeons on the gloss in argentine pending
Concuria stopping and prevail the conquering angina
Concuria stopping and prevail the conquering...

In decadence I take thee by the hand
Too frail... to gain the promised land
Too frail... to take your pain away
Too frail... a sequel of decay

May milleniums gather
On the mirage of desolated souls
Far between departure and sorrow
I breed my afterthought
In thy hours of vast dejection's haunt... wane

An angel strays upon my door
So frail and lost within
To weep upon her days of yore
My decadent come in
Her stain and tears upon my floor
The sorrow that she brings
Devotion of a life outworn
In decadence come in

An angel strays upon my door
To weep upon her days of yore
My decadent come in
Her stain and tears upon my floor
The sorrow that she brings
Devotion of a life outworn
In decadence come in

May thy lids desorb from emerald seas
A pending solitary
Though thy pain redeems, life it seems to be
A fragile sanctuary

Last edited:
Oldsmobile gauges

Here is the 55 olds gauge cluster. I will have to build a custom dash and trim to make it all work together. the chrome will go .... copper plating will be in its place. the new bezel, trim, headlight rings and other accent parts will be copper. I know that theres something to pour on copper to age it , some acid or other chemical- Anyone know what will age copper fast?

Attachments

• $(KGrHqJHJE8FBzeRNziUBQgGSPJbCQ~~60_57.jpg
    $(KGrHqJHJE8FBzeRNziUBQgGSPJbCQ~~60_57.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 22
Thanks guys, Guess I should save some pics cause- I haven't touched it in a couple weeks. You know - work , family, money, all the things you don't plan on . I also started my business back up ( construction) closed it in 2009- constuction in Florida was gone. Its just starting back... anyways, heres some pictures of the windshield. the next post will be making the bedsides similar to a 37 chevy
Extremely nice work! Especially considering your shop is a semi trailer. Or am I wrong about that?

Latest posts

Back