First Build!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voronov

So, I posted my introduction and I thought I'd post what I've come up with so far.

I have a few questions and concerns about the rod but I'll ask them as they come into mind, and thank everyone in advance for all the help!

I'm looking to start my first rat as a small 2-seater with very large back wheels (possibly duallys), possibly mid-engine but If this would be too challenging for a beginner then front engine would be fine, "decent" mpg (20), and from there on it's whatever I can see doing to her.

The engine that I've chosen is a 305 with a 350 turbo transmission, along with a 600cfm Holley. That's about all. :D

I realize that this isn't really much of a start, but I'm having a REALLY hard time trying to find which body I would like to start out with. [S I'm into the wastelander style of rods, but I'm also into the gothic style. Maybe a mix of the two might work, but I think I really just need a photo database with the make-model-year of every body. I'd simply find a picture to reference, but the problem is that I can't find one like described.

Again, thanks in advance for all the help, and I'll be able to post a few concept drawings sometime in the next few days depending on which body I decide to go with!

I've also bought my first 110v MIG welder. It's a Easy MIG from Harbour Freight, and I'm really unsure about whether it would have enough power to put on brackets to hold the motor or to do any frame work at all besides cosmetic bodywork, but it's a start to get to know my way around a torch from what I've heard.

Does anyone have an opinion about the integrity of the welds that this piece can put out? I do know it's a long debated issue of whether they're suitable for frames, but I figured who else would know than those who actually work with the equipment for chopping and the same that I would be attempting.

Everybody has to start somewhere....

The thought process is usually (should be) the first....guaranteed that once you start... it will develope as will you, new design or additional build ideas...usually to the better side.....go slow, and let it develope in your mind....you'll be building in no time....

I have 110 snap on that does sheet metal very well...

I've also bought my first 110v MIG welder. It's a Easy MIG from Harbour Freight, and I'm really unsure about whether it would have enough power to put on brackets to hold the motor or to do any frame work at all besides cosmetic bodywork, but it's a start to get to know my way around a torch from what I've heard.

Does anyone have an opinion about the integrity of the welds that this piece can put out? I do know it's a long debated issue of whether they're suitable for frames, but I figured who else would know than those who actually work with the equipment for chopping and the same that I would be attempting.

It will also do light welding but I'd leave frame stuff to the bigger ones...guys will even use stick welders for some of it ....I've done some 1/8" tabs and brackets with the 110 but I think it's a little better unit than what you've got...the big stuff I go with the big miller or my other 220 welder....the little 220 is a Century welder...works darn good...although not a hobart or miller....JMHO

It will also do light welding but I'd leave frame stuff to the bigger ones...guys will even use stick welders for some of it ....I've done some 1/8" tabs and brackets with the 110 but I think it's a little better unit than what you've got...the big stuff I go with the big miller or my other 220 welder....the little 220 is a Century welder...works darn good...although not a hobart or miller....JMHO

Alright, that's a pretty straight forward answer to my concerns with the welder. [;)

So as for the stick welders, my neighbors got a Craftsman 220 stick welder for less than 100 that he wants to sell, I might as well pick that one up for the framework.

100 bucks seems like a bargain for safety! Imagine the headache of the welds breaking on the highway. In fact, I think headache would be an understatement

practice, practice, practice.

and then, practice a bit more with the welder. And as for the welder, I'd save your cash for a decent used miller or lincoln...

get your hands on as much scrap metal as you possibly can.

The type of rod you describe...makes me think of one guy here...Bonehead.

Check out his stuff, it's awesome. And sort of what you describe..I think...[S

Wish I could tell you how that craftsman will work..

But I don't have any experience with that type or maker.....I'd assume it was ok...there are a ton of guys on the site that can direct you much better than I .....some of which are professional welders and I'd see what they have to say before plunking down any cash....JMHO...

Bonehead

The type of rod you describe...makes me think of one guy here...Bonehead.
[S

I just looked at his truck. AMAZING metalworking skills. That's beyond functionality, that's art! :D

As far as the styling, I get the wasteland feel from it. I can definitely dig the skulls, gives me an idea for the hood ornament

I'm super happy with my Millermatic 180, and I agree I tried getting away with a 135, its just not enough for thicker materials including frame work.

Car nut website has a large database of most makes and models of cars for reference.

Thanks for that, I'm liking the Buick 1935 and 1938 4-door sedan. [dr

If not that, I might just take an international, remove the bed, and insert the engine there.

What do you guys think of the mid-engine layout? Excuse my lack of mechanical knowledge here, but I'm confused as to how it would affect the RWD. From what I'm grasping, if you stick a FWD drivetrain in the back, you get a RWD. I've been trying to look up the complications with using a standard 302 and 350 trans meant for RWD front engines, but either it's not explained on the web or I'm at a loss for how to explain the question in the search bar.

There are a few guys who have done what you are talking about with the fwd in the back, LuckyFastEddie,
http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1933&highlight=rear+engine

and the boys from the A-hole garage.
P7090540.jpg

There's one thing I've noticed with the setup that was described in the thread you linked, and that's the part towards the end where he mentions having to add a tremendous amount of weight to the front in order to balance out all that rear-end weight.

That being said, with the diameter of the wheels and the engine right next to it while trying to make a semi-light 20mpg vehicle will cause a ton of lift issues for the front end.

Considering as well that this is my first project, I think it might be a bit more on my level to start off with a front-engine. I really love the idea of the engine in the back, and I think it's something that I will have to come back on in the future.

Next step:
Trying to find a body. I've pretty much decided on the Buick unless there's anything else I need to consider.

I feel like a lot of progress has been made tonight. I really appreciate all the info. :D

Latest posts

Back