1933 chevy tudor sedan aka Project Copper Tone!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as the panhard goes, I think I can move the brackets around a bit so that it is more level. And yes the upper holes are what I had planned on using. Turns out though, I do need to at least make the brackets taller. Thank god for torches right? Lol thanks for your input. This is my first build so I'm kinda learning as I go along. I'm just trying to keep my imagination going cause my job, though I enjoy it, is a bit monotonous so I need to keep my mind working outside of work so I don't land in the looney bin again.

Version 2.1.5

null_zpscd20b678.jpg

With no load on the spring you're shackles should be almost level (parralel to the axle) so when there is weight on it the shackles end up at about 45°. Other then that its looking better.

The hairpins take the brunt of forces during braking. Its the side loading, like in a corner, that affect the shackles most. There is some twist as the axle goes through its motions. You don't want a long shackle to bend in a emergency situation.

I hope you post lots of pictures when you get front spring done.
I am going to use a 67 econoline axle which looks similar to yours in my woodie and it looks like you have figured a good way to do it.[;)
I will probably copy your finished product if thats ok.

So, I'm gonna stick with what I have for the time being. If I don't like how it is after I get it all mocked up with the weight of the engine in, I can always go in and redo it. But for now, this is where I'm at and I think it'll work pretty damn well. Tomorrow I'm gonna try to get the front brakes mounted and the wheels and tires on so I can start fabbing up the axle mount and the hairpins. Anyhow, a picture of before I tacked the brackets on. Just imagine it without the clamps in place lol.

null_zpsf94af2f4.jpg

The pic Dirtyrat posted on page 9 shows how the spring should look loaded, with the shackles at a 45 angle. Unloaded, they should be almost horizontal. Also, you may have a problem with that trailer spring you plan to use - way to stiff - something more like the first spring you had would ride so much better, longer and with more, thinner leaves.
I'd try to make the mounts closer to the axle, it will keep the ride height down - as it is, they are kinda overbuilt and the taller they are the more beefy you need to make them. A lot can be learned by taking a look at how 'ol Henry Ford did it with a simple perch that bolted thru the axle that the shackles bolted to plus the hairpins were also mounted by the same bolt.

Well ZZ, I like your input. Very well stated but, I like the look of beefy. Everything about this car is overkill and "thick." It's why I went with the leaf I did. Mind you, I may try to find some shorter shackles but for the time being, I'm gonna stick with this. Don't think that I haven't taken your words into consideration but just for "mock up" purposes to really figure out how this car is gonna sit. Like my previous post, I can always cut and weld something different.

With shorter shackles, those brackets might work there. Like was said above, without weight on it, the shackles should be about straight out. When the weight of the car is set on the spring, the ends will move outward and the shackles should be near a 45 degree angle - like you have now. When driving and hitting bumps, the spring will compress even more causing the ends of the spring to move outward even more. You don't want the spring ends to hit the brackets when hitting a pot hole etc. or it could cause sudden wheel jerk.

Just keep in mind, as downward force is put on the spring, the ends will move outward.

Okay, so I moved the brackets out a bit so that the shackles are parallel with the axle. I'm gonna end up welding some thin pieces of diamond plate on the outsides to give it that finishing touch. It's really not all that much taller than the frame so I'm in good business still. What do y'all think?

null_zps47db4412.jpg

null_zps07209e04.jpg

null_zps3f7b74e4.jpg

I'd tack them in right there and leave it until you get the engine and frame weight on it to see where it sits under load. To me, it looks like it'll be OK, but I just have a understand the basics of it all. There are others on here that could tell you better.

Now your on the right track. The last version looks like it should work. Plenty of room for the shackles to swing.

Thanks for y'all's help. I couldn't have done it the right way without your guidance. The next step is to figure out how much forward of the frame to mount the axle and figure out the amount of caster I want. I'm thinking 3* of caster would be spot on and about 4" forward of the frame. For hairpins I will be using 1-1/8th" heims(they use 3/4 bolts) and 1-1/4" schedule 40 pipe at about 3' long. Just one on each side mounted on the backside and slightly below the main portion of the axle. They are fully adjustable as long as I can find some left handed nuts. Ill be going to the John Deere dealership tomorrow to see if they have any as the heims are used to lift and lower implements.

It is so refreshing to see someone actually taking advice from the forum without coping a big ol' attitude about it. Good job endicott, this rat is going to turn out great!

It is great to see you take the advice and put it to use. And the front suspension looks much better now. Keep it up!

Don't get me wrong, the first instinct I had was to freak out and go off bout how I thought y'all were wrong but I'm glad I didn't. I had to put my pride behind me and remind myself that I'm juss a dumb kid and don't know it all yet. Anyhow, here's my idea for the spring mount to the frame. Don't worry, I made it outta cardboard so all I'm outta is about 3 hrs of drawing and cutting cardboard lol.

null_zps3bb00182.jpg

Keep in mind, the farther out from the frame you mount the spring, the more torque it'll put on the welds were the brackets meet the frame tube. Same with the welds were the tube meets the frame. Don't be afraid to beef those areas up a bit.

The older I get, the more I realize, I know less than I thought I did. :p

Latest posts

Back