1964 C-10 Pick-Up

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Front End Swap

Swapping the front end to newer stuff wasn't too painful

the biggest thing was getting the old rivets out of the A-Arms... but the angle grinder made it a ton faster then drilling them out.:cool:

So just a little FYI for any of you out there that want to do a low buck disk brake swap on yout 60-66 C-10, this may work for other years as well.

I used the front end of an 86 C-10

All you need is: Steering box, Pitman arm, both Spindles.

you can reuse your center link and steering column

You will need new ball joints, upper and lower for the year truck you got the spindles from, they will bolt right up to your old A-arms. You will also need new tie-rod ends.

I also recommend a power-steering bracket from CCP or another company that allows you to bolt up your new steering box to your frame and come with all needed hardware. (This saved me a day of work time of making up a bracket and finding new hardware, it was well worth the $54 I paid for it.)

The swap went very will, I used an old school method of doing the alignment, and it was so good the guy at the tire place asked me where I had my alignment done... I told him.... my dad's garage with a tape measure...:D

Attachments

• old brake2.jpg
    old brake2.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 15
  • baljointrem.jpg
    baljointrem.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 14
  • locontrolcar.jpg
    locontrolcar.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 16
  • newstuff.jpg
    newstuff.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 15
  • spindle.jpg
    spindle.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 13
  • newlowballj.jpg
    newlowballj.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 13
  • disc.jpg
    disc.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 15
  • oldbrake1.jpg
    oldbrake1.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 14
truck

I like the direction you are taking the 64… My cab and floors were a bit more solid but there is always some metal work lying ahead...[;)

Back to Vicky's build...

Geeeze... I forgot I never finished the build thread here.... :eek:

Working in the new fuel tank wasn't too bad at all....

I decided to relocate it ONE because the original tank had two cracks that had been patched and were still leaking and TWO I'm 6'1" and needed as much room in the cab as possible, plus didn't want this kind of boom behind the seat, but a different kind of boom (stay tuned for that..)

I used a 1950 Chevy Coupe/Sedan tank, as the dimensions worked out just right to fit between the frame rails... plus is was Poly... so no rust to worry about.... and this was $200+ cheaper than using the LMC tank relocation kit... I think I ended up with a 16 gallon tank, which I know LMC offer I believe a 21 gallon, but this 16 gallon tank worked well and doesn't hang below the frame, as the LMC and many others that style do. This kept things flush and out of site. Also complimented the Roll Pan I planned on installing.:cool:

Attachments

• newtank.jpg
    newtank.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 16
  • bedoff.jpg
    bedoff.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 16
  • fueldlines.jpg
    fueldlines.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 19
  • newtanktest.jpg
    newtanktest.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 17
Cover me!!!!

The question I probably get the most is WHERE did you get that bed cover..

My Answer... I made it:D

I made this cover from one for another truck actually... but came to realize with some 'H' Channel, 'J' and 'F' channel you can make just about anything... and the section between is the same material used on manufactured homes doors...

Attachments

• uidlbedcov.jpg
    uidlbedcov.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 20
  • bedcove.jpg
    bedcove.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 21
  • bedcov.jpg
    bedcov.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
A few Small Touches

There were a few small touches I was able to work in along the way... keeping in mind this was a June 15 to September 12th build ....;)

the truck never had a bench seat when I purchased it.... it had two very rough cutlass buckets... which I think were pictured in the back of the truck in one of the previous photos... I came across some buckets that fit my needs and decided to build a center console... and figured why not add some boom in the process.... so that's what inspired the center console Sub box that you see

I also ended up redoing the fuse block the old one wouldn't pass the correct voltage through it...

Then the motor was transformed to silver.... only because I hadn't had a silver motor yet... and of course it had to have chrome... lol....:D

Oh yes.. the shocks were red to match the accents of the truck :) Plus white just gets dirty, which is the color they originally were...

Attachments

• console.jpg
    console.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 21
  • fuseblock.jpg
    fuseblock.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 18
  • motre.jpg
    motre.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 19
  • shockin.jpg
    shockin.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 19
Interior YUK

These are some shots of the yucky interior.... I'm sorry... I meant ratty interior....

Old cluster and 90% of old wires were removed... I removed the old cluster and custom built one for teh truck, I love the 60-63 gauge layout for these trucks.... but they don't interchange:(... so I have to make something similar :D

Attachments

• clust.jpg
    clust.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 12
  • lusthole.jpg
    lusthole.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 14
  • dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 12
  • moreinter.jpg
    moreinter.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 12
  • inter.jpg
    inter.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 13
About that Roll Pan

I get a-lot of questions about the roll pan.... most commonly where did you find that or buy that...

I tell them.... I made it...LOL

The roll pan I found on craigslist.... from a 99 F-150 a lady backed into the guys truck putting a dent in it.... scored this beauty for $20

then cut it down in width, rolled the edges...

and of course... waste not want not... I kept the ends of the roll pan and made the hump that the shifter sits on in the cab:cool:

Attachments

• rollpinan.jpg
    rollpinan.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 20
  • cutroll.jpg
    cutroll.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 18
  • shifthum.jpg
    shifthum.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 18
Test Run....

I added my fuel filler and it was time for a test drive... I made it all of 200' before the first problem... the U joint ends of the old rear end were smaller than the new five lug and it slung them across the yard....

So after sticking a 4"x4" pressure treated block under a wheel from teh drivers seat.....(quite a task on a hill, if I say so my self....) I walked back up to the garage to get the U-join that fit.. popped the ends/caps off the proper size one and slid them on the existing joint.... they fit just fine.... drove back up the hill...

You will notice a gray fender in this photo that isn't in the others, that is because I scored another fender on CL for $60!!!!! If you all know anything about old C-10's is that the ol' steal isn't cheap!

You will also see the open bed cover in working order in the last photo... as well as the $200 20" wheels I found on CL.... which was good because the aluminum turbine wheels were 6 lug... and I needed a 5 lug set:cool:

Attachments

• 2012-08-04203402_jpg.jpg
    2012-08-04203402_jpg.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 21
  • madiewm.jpg
    madiewm.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 23
  • priortomadien.jpg
    priortomadien.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 28
To The Paint Bay

I thought Matte Black was fine... but in order to pull off the 11th hour wedding party escape... the paint job was going to require a little bit more...

I traded something for the silver paint.... turned out it wasn't enough... or maybe I didn't know what I was doing... actually... this was the 3rd paint job I had ever attempted lol....

You see in the last photo I finished out the paint job with red brakes to go with the red shocks and C-10 badges.. which my bride to be painted!:cool:

Attachments

• drying.jpg
    drying.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 25
  • finalprep.jpg
    finalprep.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 23
  • upperpaint.jpg
    upperpaint.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 20
  • pullin.jpg
    pullin.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 20
  • vaderlook.jpg
    vaderlook.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 19
Finished Product....

So the truck was a hit at the wedding and all the rave in the Forge at the Rod Run 2012...

Not to mention she screamed down the highway... the 327 was very peppy with the 650 carter on it... and achieved 26 MPG on the highway thanks to the 700R-4 I installed in lieu of the turbo 400 and with the lower geared rear end from the 1982 I picked up it worked out GREAT! :cool:

Attachments

• 2012-09-07 07.12.54.jpg
    2012-09-07 07.12.54.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 29
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 24
  • 431639_3916475272804_1284142180_n.jpg
    431639_3916475272804_1284142180_n.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 25
  • interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 28
Good Job, looks super. I wasn't sure about the silver but it works !:eek:
Interior looks comffie also, and i've seen that type AC unit before :rolleyes:

So... 1.5-2 years later....

So 2012 was mostly just driving... and 2013 was more driving I found another set of wheel for cheap and ended up selling the 20's..... tires were pricey and they looked good on the truck, but I was thinking that it needed something more era appropriate...

So I rode on these in 2013....

Attachments

• clrims_jpg.jpg
    clrims_jpg.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 13
  • WP_20140420_19_35_01_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140420_19_35_01_Pro.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC00798.jpg
    DSC00798.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 64SNIOW.jpg
    64SNIOW.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 11
White walls!!!!!!!!!

Even though Coker is just down the road in Chat... I couldn't justify $700 for tires... so I converted the white letter tires I had.....

I thought they turned out ok for the moment...

the building in the last photo... just underwent a total restoration... i'll have to snag a new photo.....

Attachments

• WP_20140428_19_39_12_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140428_19_39_12_Pro.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 15
  • WP_20140428_19_37_54_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140428_19_37_54_Pro.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 14
  • WP_20140425_12_47_28_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140425_12_47_28_Pro.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Back