The Roofus Special

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, how well do these things work?[S I have to admit, that's "visually interesting," anyway.:cool:

Regards,
Shea:)

According to the 1950s willys advertising they are the best ever lol

Now back to our regular schedule thread!:D

Eric

Yes, a camber increase (positive) on the inside tire and a camber decrease (negative) on the outside when turning is desirable. This is generally controlled with the caster angle during a turn. What I'm seeing is a camber decrease (negative) during spring compression with the wheels straight ahead.

What I'm trying to say is that the geometry of those spindles was designed to have the best control of the car under all driving conditions. In order to maintain the caster, camber, toe out on turns, the upper and lower control arms are going to have to be of a length and design comparable to the original specifications when using these spindles and steering knuckle arms.

Just compare this to a simple straight axle used in a model T or A Ford. You can lower or raise the axle height, increase or decrease the tread width. As long as the spindle itself is not altered, and the proper caster and camber angles are kept during alignment, the original geometry of the entire suspension is not changed.

Thanks,
Dave.

Yes, a camber increase (positive) on the inside tire and a camber decrease (negative) on the outside when turning is desirable. This is generally controlled with the caster angle during a turn. What I'm seeing is a camber decrease (negative) during spring compression with the wheels straight ahead.

What I'm trying to say is that the geometry of those spindles was designed to have the best control of the car under all driving conditions. In order to maintain the caster, camber, toe out on turns, the upper and lower control arms are going to have to be of a length and design comparable to the original specifications when using these spindles and steering knuckle arms.

Just compare this to a simple straight axle used in a model T or A Ford. You can lower or raise the axle height, increase or decrease the tread width. As long as the spindle itself is not altered, and the proper caster and camber angles are kept during alignment, the original geometry of the entire suspension is not changed.

Thanks,
Dave.

The original jag suspension arms shot off of the frame at an angle and the whole layout was pretty ugly. I won't be copying any of it or using the geometry.

...looking back at this picture, I don't think the I-beam upper arms would be all that much of a distraction.
IMG_2577.jpg

Flipper – Sorry, I didn't mean to be disrespectful or to criticize, I think this is a very cool project and your work is very good. I was just concerned about potential safety and handling issues that may arise. Don’t forget to consider the breaking torque applied to the control arms when you design the uppers.

Thanks, Dave.

My family is doing its part to rid the world of Toyotas. My son did this to my wife's car....

....yes, he had the car on it's side as he was sliding backwards (after he nailed the culvert).

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 56
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
My family is doing its part to rid the world of Toyotas. My son did this to my wife's car....

....yes, he had the car on it's side as he was sliding backwards (after he nailed the culvert).

Wow, how do you get that out of shape in a corolla? That has what 130hp at best? And functional safety parts... what the heck happened?

hey if you are ridding the world of Toyotas.. can you start with the Prius? Thanks!

but seriously.. hope your son is allright

He was very lucky. He somehow managed to avoid having a "sudden stop". He walked away without a scratch.

Very lucky man!!!! That looks like it could have REALLY hurt!!!

hey if you are ridding the world of Toyotas.. can you start with the Prius? Thanks!

Toyota, moving forward, even when you don't want them too.... LOL

Wow, glad he's okay.
I think that will all buff out ;)

Might need a bit of fiberglass too!!!

Well, I got a chance to go play this weekend.

I dug into a pile and pulled out some 1952 Mercedes front suspension pieces. They don't really work as is, but what else is new.

IMG_4652_zpsa9c06db8.jpg

The cross shaft and spring bucket mount is what is interesting to me.
IMG_4655_zpseba363b2.jpg

IMG_4656_zps78a40020.jpg

IMG_4657_zps995f7e04.jpg

IMG_4658_zpsd7a7190b.jpg

IMG_4661_zps544e1b7d.jpg

My a-arm kit...some assembly required.
IMG_4664_zps59268950.jpg

Yes the wrench is part of the plan

IMG_4682_zpsd1c5a263.jpg

IMG_4683_zps0179ac64.jpg

IMG_4684_zps9f4c820e.jpg

Latest posts