What is the best parts cleaner cleaning agent?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfg455

The Hot Rod Cop
i have a parts cleaner but it is dry and I am not sure what to put in it for a cleaning agent. I have heard that a mix of diesel fuel and simple green workks good. Any ideas? Thanks

I use Purple Power, which you can get from Autozone. It's bio-degradable, which is a good thing, but don't get it on your skin; it's some freaking strong stuff!!

Mineral spirits works great. That is what we use in our parts washer. You can buy it in 5 gallon cans at places like Lowes, Home Depot, etc

You have to be careful with some of the ones you dilute with water. I had a brand new parts washer from Northern Tool and bought their brand cleaner that you dilute. In a few days it ate the paint off of the parts washer.:eek: I took it back and they gave me a brand new one, but this time I put mineral spirits in it, no problems whatsoever.

I hear paint supply stores like Sherwin Williams sell it in 5 gallon containers cheaper than anyone else, but haven't confirmed that.

Don

You have to be careful with some of the ones you dilute with water. I had a brand new parts washer from Northern Tool and bought their brand cleaner that you dilute. In a few days it ate the paint off of the parts washer.:eek: I took it back and they gave me a brand new one, but this time I put mineral spirits in it, no problems whatsoever.

I hear paint supply stores like Sherwin Williams sell it in 5 gallon containers cheaper than anyone else, but haven't confirmed that.

Don

Don, thats good to know. My washer is a cheapy one that I bought but I cant remember if it was a northern tools one or not. There is a sherwin williams right done the road from work. I will pop in there friday and see what they get for 5 gallons. Thanks for the heads up.

Check the manual on your washer, I believe mine siad not for petroulium based cleaners,I think it depends on the style of pump it has(FIRE HAZARD?).I use the purple power ..full strength..it works good, but dont soak aluminium over night,kinda left a funky look to a head from a ATV my son had.

I don't use a parts washer any more except for the tub for smaller parts. I use Dawn Power Dissolver. I can only get it at walmart around here. It eats everything off. Be careful because your fingers will split and crack if you get it on them.

One try and you'll be hooked

I don't use a parts washer any more except for the tub for smaller parts. I use Dawn Power Dissolver. I can only get it at walmart around here. It eats everything off. Be careful because your fingers will split and crack if you get it on them.

One try and you'll be hooked
Is it a concentrate if so do you dilute it ?
Do you soak the parts and use a brush ?
Like anything else ? rinse thoroughly :D

Mineral spirits works great. That is what we use in our parts washer. You can buy it in 5 gallon cans at places like Lowes, Home Depot, etc

we add a qt. of auto trans fluid to it also. i used to use thrust starting fluid but after the law came to my house thinking i was making meth, i try to use something else.

I just dumped 10 gals of Purple Power into my cheap HF parts washer. It seems to cut grease really well. Only time will tell if it eats all the paint off or destroys the pump!

that is some good stuff.....

I just dumped 10 gals of Purple Power into my cheap HF parts washer. It seems to cut grease really well. Only time will tell if it eats all the paint off or destroys the pump!

Let us know how that works in the tank....curious to see if it does remove the paint....[S... could you dilute it a bit with water? I've mixed it and use it for general cleaning up....seems to still take grease off pretty well..[S

Latest posts

Back