luver punch???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the size of the arbor press,material thickness,and the length of the louver.

I can calculate the approximate amount of force required.

ya hoo !!!!got my home made luver press workin!!willpost some pic's sone as posible .not as hard as i always though it would be to do.:)

Agree with Don on this one. There are two things you are paying for when you hire someone to do it.1. his equipment and 2. his experience. If one louver is out of line by as much as 1/16 your eye will pick it up. LFE

My Arbor press doesn't have much of a throat depth. It is supposidly rated at 2 tons though.

If your louver is 4" long,1/2 deep,flat on top,and the material you are
cutting is .040" mild steel,the approx. cutting force required is:

.04 x 60,000 x 3 = 7200 lbs.
(matl thickness x tensile strength x length of cut = )

I've seen some powered by a bottle jack.

If you had a big arbor press,like 10 tons,you COULD
pull the rack and pinion,and mount them in a larger frame.

But then you need at least two people to use it,
one to hold the panel,(if it's small enough),the other to pull on the lever.

here are some pic's of the press and my first attemp at a peacewith it.
this is kinda like the press that willums sell's but i made it all from skratch and i was unable to come up with any real hard steel yet so i used mild stell for now.i use the method that i wrote about earlyer in the thread[i cut the luver with a 32nd thick cut off wheel ,to make it easer to press and less chanch of ruining a peace]
as you can tell by the pic's it works pretty well.and know that i know more about it ,i will make a bigger better one when time and money permits .
as fare as i can tell the luvers look just as good as the panel i ordered for $60 for on my chevy.and thats good enough for me.
As fare as paying a pro to do it .How do you guys think that they got to be a pro.they werent born that way.:)

Attachments

• Picture 034.jpg
    Picture 034.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 87
  • Picture 033.jpg
    Picture 033.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 65
  • Picture 032.jpg
    Picture 032.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 66
that does look good tom, how was it as far as time? I would guess it's faster on a professional machine but you could be close which is good enough for most of us.

Dawg, let me get some more practice first and i'll let ya know about the decklid?
What kind a decklid ya have?
It really isnt all that big a deal to build one for your self ,you should try it !
I dont care a bit to do it for other people ,but this wasnt about making money ,i just want to be able to do my own luvers .ther is no one around here to do them that i know of anyway.:cool:

How do people not get in trouble for using road sighns?Ive always been afraid to use em'.but sounds like a neat idea! what are you building?

Latest posts

Back