Molases rust remover

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Daddy mole says, "I smell hot cakes.".......
Mommy mole says, "I smell waffles.".........
Baby mole says, "I smell molasses."[S

So does a pickup bed . :D:D

redneck_wading_pool.jpg

Don

Fill it with parts and molasses, cover it, and use it as your daily driver. The agitation should speed up the process.

Works on gas tanks.

This works very well on gas tanks, it cleans out the inside and not much clean up when it is finished, one part to nine parts water.

Hey DR, here we buy it from a feed store. It is used as a cattle feed supplement. It can also be found in grocery store.

Gold03

Just found out at the ole feed store 5 gal. is the smallest size, about 50 bucks. smart and final has 1/2 gal for 5 bucks. i'm doing a motorcycle four gallon tank. In route now for smart and final, i'll let you know the results in a few days, it's pretty bad, sat open for ten plus yrs [S

Inside of a vessel might be a challenge. Needs pressure wash to remove crud after long soak. Are you thinking of a plastic coating after?

Gold03

Gold03, yes Northern Fuel Tank sealer. I'm going to try to get all the sludge out the petcock hole, if not i'll have to cut the bottom of the tank out. Not a big deal, lots of practise cutting and welding. [S

This is crazy, but it works. My Dad is working on a 27 ish Model T and has dunked body parts in one part molasses and nine parts water for a month. I can not believe the amount of rust that he washed off with the pressure washer after a months soak in solution!!

The body panel has only had the right edge submerged in the solution. the rest of the panel is un treated.

Everything else was just as rusted as the body panel prior to soaking it!

Decide for your self!

one part feed molasses, nine parts water. Soaked for one month, washed off with pressure washer.

I'm lookin for tank to dunk a car in!!

Check out this link. An Australian fellow is the one my Dad is where Dad got the information from. Or at least one of the sources.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-gBAjEga1s
gold03

pastor gadget lives

Yes sir, molasses is the only thing I use for rust removele.[cl[cl

I had trouble finding molasses locally. This 2.5 gallons mixed up about 20 gallons of juice.

http://ozbo.com/539557-Molasses-Livestock-Gal.html#.UJ0L5Y6EbFE

WOW! 2.5 gals for $42 is a lot! I think I paid around $60 for 20 gals. I suggest head south towards Gilroy or San Juan. The rural areas are gonna have bulk sales. Much cheaper that way. Or, if you happen to be up north in the Petaluma area, Rivertown Feed at the corner of 1st and D st is where I got mine. It was enough to do my entire roadster!

P1010005.jpg

Electrolysis & Vinegar

Electrolisis002.jpg

Over the last couple days I removed rust from some parts for the Reo project.
In the upper left corner is a piece of the inner door skin to show how rusty all the parts were.
Lower right is a door latch mechanism that was soaked in vinegar over night. When the part was removed it looked as rusty as before. However a few minutes on a wire wheel and the rust came off with ease. The part did flash rust very quickly and I suspect continued to rust even through the WD-40 I sprayed on it.
Lower left is the other door latch which was put in a bucket containing 4 gallons of water and 4 tablespoons of baking soda. A 6 amp battery charger was connected, the negative to the latch and the positive to a piece of clean sheet metal. I left it over night. It came out with a black powdery coating that was easily removed with the wire wheel.
The steering wheel was half submerged. The right side spoke shows the black coating after the process. The lower spoke was wire wheeled for a few seconds and sprayed with WD-40. It is rust free but not shiny bright.
I like the electrolysis better because it is cheaper, doesn't smell and doesn't seem to flash rust after treatment. Pretty easy to dispose of a pail of rusty water too.

Biggest problem is getting the residue out of the interior nooks and crannies. I uses a stainless steel brush that resembles a toothbrush.

I have friends that swear by molasses. I'[ll try that next.

Just a thought...have you ever tried using washing soda

Electrolisis002.jpg

Over the last couple days I removed rust from some parts for the Reo project.
In the upper left corner is a piece of the inner door skin to show how rusty all the parts were.
Lower right is a door latch mechanism that was soaked in vinegar over night. When the part was removed it looked as rusty as before. However a few minutes on a wire wheel and the rust came off with ease. The part did flash rust very quickly and I suspect continued to rust even through the WD-40 I sprayed on it.
Lower left is the other door latch which was put in a bucket containing 4 gallons of water and 4 tablespoons of baking soda. A 6 amp battery charger was connected, the negative to the latch and the positive to a piece of clean sheet metal. I left it over night. It came out with a black powdery coating that was easily removed with the wire wheel.
The steering wheel was half submerged. The right side spoke shows the black coating after the process. The lower spoke was wire wheeled for a few seconds and sprayed with WD-40. It is rust free but not shiny bright.
I like the electrolysis better because it is cheaper, doesn't smell and doesn't seem to flash rust after treatment. Pretty easy to dispose of a pail of rusty water too.

Biggest problem is getting the residue out of the interior nooks and crannies. I uses a stainless steel brush that resembles a toothbrush.

I have friends that swear by molasses. I'[ll try that next.

In lieu of baking soda....I've never used baking soda.....always washing soda....works pretty good and turns anything rusty to a black phospate type coating.....just wondering....

Sgt. Today I used washing soda. Same good result. In reading about it some people believe washing soda is a bit better. That's why I bought some today.

I think that it actually has a large phosphate content

so it not only acts as a good electolyte but also a sort of puts a phosphate coating on the parts too.... have to look up the correct spelling for phosphates...LOL....

There are lots of ways to remove rust other than blasting it. White vinegar-Electolosis(sp)- Molasses -even dryer sheets.
On word of warning though about the molasses. Keep an eye on it wen soaking because if left to long it can cause pitting to the metal.
And yes some people have done entire cars. Think Model A in pieces. A big ass kiddie pool and lots of stinky Molasses.
Some people keep a 55 Gallon drum of the stuff mixed up to submerege entir engines. Especialy if they are seized.
Torchie.

Latest posts

Back