Do you think it would work?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

super56

Ok... I have been moving the 56 back and forth in the garage and the trans fluid POURS almost as fast as I had put it in. Granted, it doesnt do it until I start and drive it. Could I rig a sump and pump it through back into the trans? I have SERIOUSLY been thinking about this... Perty ratty or just asking for problems?

WHAT?!?!

No, it won't work. The pressure pushing the fluid out is working against the proper operation of the transmission, and pumping it back in isn't going to do any good.
It wouldn't matter if you were pulling a tanker full of ATF behind you.

The transmission is DONE...

Last edited:
Where exactly is the fluid coming from? If it is the rear seal you can probably fix it in the driveway for very few $$$$.

Sure it would work. As long as the fluid isn't squirting out under high pressure to the point where you can't capture it. BED has a point about the leak affecting the proper operation, but if it still drives, and you can't fix the tranny right now, why not?

Seems to be the challenge is capturing it in some kind of pan that is deep enough to keep it from sloshing out, yet not dragging on the road. Not sure what kind of 12v pump you could find, maybe something meant for a small boat? And then would it survive pumping tranny fluid? Would you end up spending just much $ on a pump, pan, tubing, etc as fixing it?

Yes, total redneck engineering, but hey thats part of the fun right? I don't see any safety concerns here.

You hear the old stories about the guy using a piece of a leather belt to replace the shot babbit bearing in the Model A and driving it 20 miles to church every Sunday and that is considered cool, so....

Ah yes, Redneck Engineering. Some of the most creative repairs known to man ! :D:D

headlight-fix.jpg

Don

Ah yes, Redneck Engineering. Some of the most creative repairs known to man ! :D:D

headlight-fix.jpg

Don

Dont get me wrong Don. I want to do it right and keep it right. I want to keep the nailhead and the dynaflow, Money is the thing... I have read (on here) costs from $350 to $2500. The $350 I could stand and maybe a little more but $2500 I just cant see. Not only that but I dont think I could sneak $2500 past the wife.

Why do you want to keep the Dynaflow? They were garbage transmissions when new, and now 50+ years later they are totally obscure as well. If you're going to spend some coin then buy an adapter and put a decent transmission behind it. There's a broken record thing going on here...

Well the adapter plate is almost $700, then there is finding and installing a 400 trans(more $) then I wil have to change the rearend and driveshaft out (more $).

The $2500 number would likely be for paying a shop to pull it and re-install it (Jeez I hope so...[S). Thing is, there's most likely more to it than just the front seal - gaskets and so on, also worn bushings and even a groove worn in the hub of the converter could be contributing to the leak. You just don't know what you're going to find wrong until it's opened up and parts are probably not cheap for these old trannys.

Well unfortunately playing with these old cars we love is neither cheap or easy. If it was everybody would be doing it right? But some good advice lies right in your own signature line. Proper planning right? It's not gonna fall in your lap...

Well unfortunately playing with these old cars we love is neither cheap or easy. If it was everybody would be doing it right? But some good advice lies right in your own signature line. Proper planning right? It's not gonna fall in your lap...

Agreed, I think I have finally talked myself into saving for the adapter and going with the th400. UGH!:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back