216 chevy oiling question..

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

59ponchorat

i just picked up a 1919 overland phaeton today and its running a 216 chevy motor.. was told to use 30wt oil no detergent..was wandering since this motor has splash oiling would it be better to use some synthetic oil for better lubrication or go just stay with the 30wt?i will post pics maybe tonite if not tom afternoon..i drove this thing today and it started raining and i still didnt want to go home..lol

I wouldn't use synthetic oil in it. I've read that switching to synthetic in an engine that has a lot of miles on it or an older engine will result in leaks. Since I've always followed this I don't know this first hand. Let's see some pics!

They say never to change what oil the motor has been accustomed to. I have heard stories that if you go from non detergent to detergent oil it will start burning oil and also sludge will start breaking up and clogging things.

Oh, toss in a quart of something like Lucas Oil Additve with zinc every time you change oil or you might be changing a cam in that thing. Oil today does not have the zinc these motors needed to keep the cam and lifters from eating each other up.

Don

Latest posts

Back