Good way to bring back/preserve patina

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowbuckrats

Kinda lookin for the best way to maybe chemically preserve restore the original finish on my wagon that I just dragged home yesterday. Got the motor ready to drop in and am in th process of re-doing the brakes. Pretty cool car when new as it was black with white top and red interior. Just gonna do a mechanical rebuild and fix the floors. Anyways, what are you guys using to bring original finishes back to life?

Attachments

• wagon57001.jpg
    wagon57001.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 68
  • wagon57002.jpg
    wagon57002.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 62
  • wagon57003.jpg
    wagon57003.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 57wagonhome 004.jpg
    57wagonhome 004.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 59
Patina

Don't know what you're wanting to do, Lowbuck. I have used satin clear to kinda "brighten up" the paint. It won't add any color but it does give you some consistency. Test a small area first. You might also try steel wool to brighten it up. I'm sure there are some better ideas on here but thats all I got.

BTW, awesome wagon! Great body, good glass, stainless appears to be outstanding and ALL there. Looks like ya done good.:D

Lynn

I used a bug and tar remover once and it musta had some wax in it too. I realized it when it started drying white. I felt like an idiot out there buffing out the wax over my rust. Did shine up the patina a little, but left faint white streaks in the rust for awhile.

penetrol

I've just read up on the use of penetrol on the net. Seems like it works for what i want. I'm gonna try it. Anyways, she's got brakes now. Gonna pick up the free powerglide today so I can drop in the motor. She'll be runnin by the end of the week.

2 cents worth

I've used liquid comet and a scrubby sponge to freshen things up.[S
Nice ride. 57 chevys are way overdone but not a lot of long tops out there and I like the way your thinking.
I'm thinking the boy there in pix is thinking "oh boy my first car" [cl

I've used liquid comet and a scrubby sponge to freshen things up.[S
Nice ride. 57 chevys are way overdone but not a lot of long tops out there and I like the way your thinking.
I'm thinking the boy there in pix is thinking "oh boy my first car" [cl

The boy is my son and fellow hot-rodder. He just loves going to check out cars with me all the time. He's a great little companion and really appreciates old rides. He already knows most of the parts on a car by name. He is 4 1/2. My Charger is his favorite car.

Attachments

• chargermikey.jpg
    chargermikey.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 30
That is actually a Dodge Neon of all things. He customized the hell out of it. Why? I don't know. But he is an awesome body man and he has a couple really cool home-made rats and customs too. Anyways, I tried the Penetrol on a section of my car and it is exactly what I was looking for. Got the stuff at Lowes. I'm gonna coat the whole dang car eventually. I wanna just get it running this week first.

Latest posts

Back