Insurance??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimisbell

I didnt see a section on insurance so I am posting here.

I just bought a 37 Ford PU with Caddy 500 (see the intro section for pics) and I am wondering where people go for insurance, just minimal liability? I have Haggerty policy on my old Rolls (84 Spur) but dont know if they will insure Hot Rods??

I didnt see a section on insurance so I am posting here.

I just bought a 37 Ford PU with Caddy 500 (see the intro section for pics) and I am wondering where people go for insurance, just minimal liability? I have Haggerty policy on my old Rolls (84 Spur) but dont know if they will insure Hot Rods??

Subscribed.
I'd also be interested in what everyone is paying too. I bet the payments are all over the board.

I have Haggerty insurance on my hot rodded '53 Chevy PU. $25,000 (value) policy plus what I need to be able to drive it; just under $400 a year.

Yes go to the Haggerty web site and you can do your own quote. We have Haggerty on a T bucket Rat $10,000 for $175.00 a year

I have Hagerty an my 46 Dodge bobber truck, 8k value, full coverage, towing with road assist. $161 a year! They do want a declaration page from the insurance for your daily driver so they know your rod isn't. Mines fender less so it only gets drove in nice weather. Storing it in a locked building seems to be the right answer.

Don

I have a broad policy that covers what I run into. Down side I'm on my own for the cost of what I'm driving. The upside is I can drive what I want, when I want, as long as it has plates. And no one else can drive my stuff.

I have a broad policy that covers what I run into. Down side I'm on my own for the cost of what I'm driving. The upside is I can drive what I want, when I want, as long as it has plates. And no one else can drive my stuff.

What company is that thru? That would make it a lot easier on me.

What company is that thru? That would make it a lot easier on me.

Dairyland Auto. You will need to find a local agent in your area. Most of the time it is one of those agents that broker half a dozen different companies. The easiest way to find out is call around and ask if they carry the Dairyland Broad Form Named Driver Policy. Not many companies come right out and offer this, and unless you know about it and ask for it, it will never be offered. it is a really good policy to have if you have 3 or more cars that you drive daily and you are only worried about liability and you are the only driver.

Like I said the real down side is, it is liability only so your ride is not covered. I pay about $60 a month, now that I'm down to 1 driver that is a little high, but 6 months ago when I had 4 cars plated in my name it really paid off.

Also as long as I have permission from a car owner to drive their car (doesn't matter if they have insurance on the car or not) my insurance carries the same liability as it would for my cars.

How does Hagerty handle insuring your car? Do they com inspect it? Appraise it? Do they care about the custom frame or anything like that?

Mine was pictures and answering a questionnaire. I think as the value goes up the burden of proof probably goes up. I declared mine worth 8k.

Don

I did read on the website that "low riders", which are defined as modified vehicles with air bags or hydraulics, (they even included low riders to have sparkely paint jobs and expensive stereos:rolleyes:) that are designed to have the chassis "fractions of an inch from the ground" are looked at very closely to determine use. Guess they won't cover frame damage from hopping the front up off the ground in hopping competitions :D

My Son Don has Haggerty on his T bucket, $25K insurance is $300 a year. Dan and I have Grundy.........I have $ 25K on my 27 and pay $ 170 a year and Dan has $65 K on his rpu and pays about $ 225 a year. That is agreed value. Never had to use it but they have been good to deal with so far.

They don't inspect the car but ask for about 4 - 5 pictures from different angles and also that you have a secure garage to keep it in, not a driveway or carport.

Don

Garage

That means whenever I get close to completing a hot rod, I'll also have to clean out the garage at home so it will fit inside!! :rolleyes:

440shorty

I use chrome for all my cars, new and old, liability and full coverage, no mile limit and very resonable with good service. Google it!!!

Latest posts

Back