Steering wheel ???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimisbell

The steering wheel on my truck (1937 Ford) is a spit and bailing wire set up. PO put a hose clamp on the 3/4" shaft then slid the new rod wheel on so the screw on the clamp jambed the wheel to keep it from turning. I dont like that....LOL

I have looked through a few catalogs and dont see any adapters that look like they will work.

I need something that I can fasten to the 3/4" shaft WITHOUT WELDING, maybe a set screw? that will adapt to a flat three hole wheel???

Set screw only if there is a hole for it to go into and can't ever slip! I'd think about a bolt all the way through.

The steering wheel on my truck (1937 Ford) is a spit and bailing wire set up. PO put a hose clamp on the 3/4" shaft then slid the new rod wheel on so the screw on the clamp jambed the wheel to keep it from turning. I dont like that....LOL

I have looked through a few catalogs and dont see any adapters that look like they will work.

I need something that I can fasten to the 3/4" shaft WITHOUT WELDING, maybe a set screw? that will adapt to a flat three hole wheel???

I don't understand what you are saying either. Are you looking for something to run a later 3 hole wheel instead of a splined steering wheel? Or are you saying someone cut the column and used a hose clamp to hold two columns together?

I don't understand what you are saying either. Are you looking for something to run a later 3 hole wheel instead of a splined steering wheel? Or are you saying someone cut the column and used a hose clamp to hold two columns together?

The steering shaft is 3/4" tapered, not splined. The wheel just has a large hole in the center and a 2 3/4" bolt circle (six holes, not three as I first stated) to screw to a flange.

I removed the wheel this morning and it was worse than I thought, the hose clamp was just there to keep the Key from backing out of the slot. The PO had cut a flat piece of aluminum and drilled it to fit the wheel and cut a key-way into it. It is only 1/4" aluminum plate, so, of course, the key-way is wallowed out to twice the width of the key and the 1/4" thickness isnt enough to center evenly on the taper. A really bad way to do it.

I think the marine adapter will work.

Check out limeworks rod shop and so cal. My dad used a limeworks adapter to put a modern wheel on his 33 dodge column. It was a tapered shaft as well and the adapter is meant for a Ford column. There are adapters out there.

Latest posts

Back