Customizations you don't understand

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05snopro440

Hey guys,

I thought we could start a thread on car customizations that you don't get or don't understand. This could get interesting...

For me, it's shaved door handles. There are some cars where they look okay, but in general I like cars with the door handles on, and think it adds more charm and character to the vehicle. I've known too many people that have had to break in to their vehicle because the door latch/popper wasn't properly aligned, so the door wouldn't open, the battery died and was inside, etc. I just don't get it!

What's yours?

I thought we could start a thread on car customizations that you don't get or don't understand. This could get interesting...

For me, it's shaved door handles.

Hey... I lov shaved door handles! :D:D:D

I've known too many people that have had to break in to their vehicle because the door latch/popper wasn't properly aligned, so the door wouldn't open, the battery died and was inside, etc. I just don't get it!

Not a prob for me... no windows either! :D

BoB

WHITEWALLS!!

0n most vehicles they look stupid, very few look good with them kinda tires,

sorry guys, just my $.O2, but he asked so l answered.

putting wheels and tires on is almost always the first custom thing we all do.

Later :cool:

Many of the custom modifications that we do today are based on what was done back in the 40's and 50's. Removing all or most of the stock chrome trim was done to let the flow of the custom work shine thru.The door handles especialy seemed to a real "Flow" blocker. Plus having no door handles just added to the cool factor as well. As did Frenched headlights and tailights. Rounded door and hood corners.And yes, every true custom guy has a solinoid failure story to tell.

The use of whitewalls in my opinion was a way to mimick what was being used on the production luxury vehicles of the day. It is what is refered to as "Bling" today. Same with spotlights and fenders skirts. These all would have been considered up grades to any production vehicle back in the 40's and 50's. An interesting aside is that many of the immediate post war customs didn't have WW's as they were not yet again available.

Plus, as with anything. Once some one saw a custom they either tried to duplicate it or too better it. Really not much different that what goes on today with our current builds. In fact if anything these custom trends spread much slower than today due to no internet. Back in the day a custom guy like me would have to wait for my monthly Rod and Custom to see what the Barris Brothers or the Ayala Brothers were doing out in California. And bu the time I would do it to my car. The styles were already changing.

Things like Chopping and Channeling. Or the biggy, Sectioning, were done by the masters as a way to show how good they were as well as to create something that was different from every body else.
Just my two bits worth.
Torchie.

I'll probably catch some flack for this but bagged cars, just so you can lay them on the ground. A car laying on the ground just looks wrong to me. And also the big bling 20-22 inch wheels on old cars.

My Dad never understood any customizing - "Why would you want to ruin a perfectly good vehicle?"

Last edited:
I was trying to think of something....... almost everything has it's place. I have done some crazy things to cars and trucks, and I am sure not everyone appreciated the work, but I enjoyed morphing, them into what I wanted. Crazy stuff, but seemed appropriate at the time.

I'll probably catch some flack for this but bagged cars, just so you can lay them on the ground. A car laying on the ground just looks wrong to me. And also the big bling 20-22 inch wheels on old cars.

I am kinda with you on this one.
But my main one is a car that is so low or chopped it is undrivable
I simply think that is stupid.
If I can't drive it to the store.
It isn't a car.

I got into cars by reading custom magazines, mostly highlighting the Barris brothers work....but to this day I cannot understand using FAKE spotlights.
I agree with the wide whites, only look good on original classics, pre-war.
(my great great uncle would roll over in his grave because he invented the add-on whitewall, Lyon). Sectioning, like chopping looks good on certain vehicles. Most of the work invloves the interior parts. I was a guest speaker at a local college a few years back talking about careers in the automotive business. I asked the class about customizing and what they were doing. Everytime someone would answer I would show them an article from a pre-1960 magazine doing the same thing. frenching, adding skirts, shaved handles (I always add a safety cable). They thought all the stuff they were doing to their modern cars was "new".
Step back and make sure it looks in proportion. (Or use photoshop first)

weld on.......[;)

white walls and baby moons only look good on a very few cars. NOT on a 96 S10...

Anything that sticks on with double side tape is not a modification or a hot rod...

As fars as cars of the older generation I don't see how putting the front axle 3 feet ahead of the radiator looks good...

Same as above is a pick up truck with a 12 foot front end and a 2 foot bed...

(I approved this message for entertainment value only and it is not ment to incent rioting)

My definition of Custom " is the personal choice or idea that the builder has visioned " A lot of looks I would not have for myself. and a lot of people would not like my cars........I have a bumper sticker on my fridge that says it all for me. " Those who judge don't count, Those who count don't judge"

as long as its safe on the road, go for it. have fun:)

If the owner likes the mods great. I personally don't get the gasser craze? I think early novas and willys are ok but 4-door grandma cars?

jfg455, this is not a custom........it's a Rat Rod

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 49
Several of you mentioned George Barris and, while I realize that he is the "king of customizers", I really don't "get" some of his stuff. I guess it really is in the eye of the beholder.

Bubble tops i think it is amazing that they can do it, frankly if everyone can see my big goofy grin they are going to know i'm up to no good, i like a car i can hide in.

Latest posts

Back