Your favorite modern engine...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doug, we senior members of RRR are permitted to go off topic.:p

My selection is probably considered vintage to young guys. The first time I laid eyes on a small block Chevy (1955, 265 cu. in.) I fell in love. That love of Gen 1 sbc's continues despite all the competition.

Doug, we senior members of RRR are permitted to go off topic.:p

My selection is probably considered vintage to young guys. The first time I laid eyes on a small block Chevy (1955, 265 cu. in.) I fell in love. That love of Gen 1 sbc's continues despite all the competition.

That's why I stayed out of it...

After re-reading the original post I got to thinking how many great new hot cars there are. A supercharger Coyote engine, a Mayback, M8......it could be a long list but it would also have to be a visually attractive engine without the plastic cladding.

Yes they do. I quit vw in 06. They're powerful! No drive belts either it's all gears like a watch, they even accounted for the engine heating up and expanding. Look it up, bad ass motor there. The one I drove did 4 wheel burnouts. As it should for $90k. Vw diesels are great motors.

I love the modern crate motors. Years back you had to spend lots of time and money to build a powerful motor and now you can order one and slam it in. As I get older, I have less time to waste! :eek:

Toad

I've heard small block ford heads work on the 22r. Lots of circle track guys raced them. Never seen one, but I've heard of this being done. Maybe I was lied to haha

I'd like to run a new GM Dirtymax if'n it were a truck project. Cars I will stick to the LS based stuff with some sort of boost.

I realize that this thread is nearly a year old, but rather than start a new one...

My question is this: If you are going to use a recent production engine, how do you deal with all of the computer nonsense? Can you separate it into separate systems so that you do not have to have air bags (the kind in the dash & side panels, not the suspension bags), tire inflation indicators, etc?

Back when this thread was young, someone asked if this was about junkyard engines, or if it was a "money is no object" topic. Well, there are newer wrecked cars available, and I'm watching an auction on one right now that was severely rear-ended - totaled, even though it has less than 10 K miles on it. The front end is totally undamaged, at least from what it looks like. I watched another go that had been rolled - about every panel was smashed and all of the windows were out, but the engine should be fine in a case like that. (Finding one near by is the main issue.)

I realize that this thread is nearly a year old, but rather than start a new one...

My question is this: If you are going to use a recent production engine, how do you deal with all of the computer nonsense? Can you separate it into separate systems so that you do not have to have air bags (the kind in the dash & side panels, not the suspension bags), tire inflation indicators, etc?

Back when this thread was young, someone asked if this was about junkyard engines, or if it was a "money is no object" topic. Well, there are newer wrecked cars available, and I'm watching an auction on one right now that was severely rear-ended - totaled, even though it has less than 10 K miles on it. The front end is totally undamaged, at least from what it looks like. I watched another go that had been rolled - about every panel was smashed and all of the windows were out, but the engine should be fine in a case like that. (Finding one near by is the main issue.)

What type of car/engine are you talking about? If it's something common like an LS, you can get an aftermarket wiring harness (Like these, for example), or you can modify the stock wiring harness if you have it. That's considerably cheaper but really time consuming and you'll need the stock wiring diagram for the vehicle it came out of. I've never done it, some here have though. Typically you have to get the ECM reprogrammed to remove the anti-theft system as well.

If it's something oddball I think you're stuck to rewiring.

With stuff like an LS you can also get rid of the fuel injection and just run it with a carb, still some wiring for sensors but much less.

Also, if the one that was rolled was not shut off right away it could have been starved for oil. Not something I would buy sight unseen.

And the one that was rear-ended, you would need to make sure that the transmission wasn't damaged (if you plan on using it), or the driveshaft wasn't used as a spear pushing the transmission and engine forward (and into anything else).

What type of car/engine are you talking about? If it's something common like an LS, you can get an aftermarket wiring harness (Like these, for example), or you can modify the stock wiring harness if you have it. That's considerably cheaper but really time consuming and you'll need the stock wiring diagram for the vehicle it came out of. I've never done it, some here have though. Typically you have to get the ECM reprogrammed to remove the anti-theft system as well.

With stuff like an LS you can also get rid of the fuel injection and just run it with a carb, still some wiring for sensors but much less.

Fuel injection makes the LS wonderful!

FAST (Fuel Air Spark Technologies) now makes a self tuning PCM and harness to run the LS based motors. Just plug it in, answer a few questions on the provided tablet and drive it. No more dyno tune sessions or trying to learn PCM tuning on your own...[cl

2014 Chevrolet Spark. It's a 1.4 L 4 banger. I was thinking of something like FalconVan is doing with the MoPar reverse trike he is building. Also FWD, of course, so the rear collision wouldn't easily damage the engne or trannie. I'm not a Chevrolet guy (MoPar man all the way, actually) - I was just looking for the smallest engine possible, to keep it as light and narrow as possible.

Also, if the one that was rolled was not shut off right away it could have been starved for oil. Not something I would buy sight unseen.

And the one that was rear-ended, you would need to make sure that the transmission wasn't damaged (if you plan on using it), or the driveshaft wasn't used as a spear pushing the transmission and engine forward (and into anything else).

That's a very good point about the roll-over job. I didn't think about oil starvation.

I should have said what I was thinking about - it's FWD, for a reverse trike like FalcanVan is building, only possibly a bit smaller. I like the idea.

Latest posts

Back